Join us for our 2024 Halloween Open House & Stitch In October 5th ~ 10:00 - 4:00

Join us for our 2024 Halloween Open House & Stitch In    October 5th ~ 10:00 - 4:00
~ Our Pre-Registered STITCH IN is FULL ~ BUT there's plenty of sweet & spooky things to see and shop for!

Monday, October 02, 2023

~ sewing kit ~

 
 
 
a small, old wooden box 
has recently become a handy thing for my sewing needfuls.
 
surely nothing fancy or even that pretty...
but useful she is.
 

my little wooden box hold a couple other boxes ~
and inside those are tiny scissors, needle magnet,
a paper envelope of my favorite steel embroidery needles...
chalk, threads, old buttons, & scraps of antique lace.


plus a make-do pincushion and my ever-handy beeswax. ~
all tucked in together,
waiting for a spare moment to pull a few threads through linen or cotton.


 I've made many of these helpful boxes over the years,
some bigger and even some smaller.
here is a list of things that can be kept in your sewing kit:
small boxes
embroidery hoop
tape measure
scraps of fabrics and trims
thread
scissors
small notebook
beeswax
thimble
paper clips
safety pins
straight pins
pincushion
needle magnet
small pencil
seam ripper

and I'm sure you can add to that list as well.

I think I'll stitch up a few needlebooks today ~
slowly & mindfully hand-stitched using scraps of this and that.

what do you have in your sewing kit?
 
 
Blessings from the Farm 
~ Lori

8 comments:

Nancy said...

Love your primitive sewing box! I carry my needfuls in a little Papago basket I bought in an Ohio antique store. It's perfect for my scissors, threads-for-the-current-project, needles, pins, and pin cushion. So convenient to move from room to room!

Betty said...

Sweet little box. Right now I use a cigar box with all you mentioned plus a needle threader for I have old lady eyes. Happy day! Betty

NMK said...

I need to make little sewing boxes for my daughter and daughter-in-law , would be a cute Cmas gift !!! Great idea Lori !!!

TheCrankyCrow said...

Such a sweet little sewing setup. I have an old Blue Label cheese box that sits on the windowsill beside my chair that holds a whole assortment of stitchy needfuls. It is a bit too large as I am the type that fills every space so there are, at time, so many things in there that I cannot find what I really need. Downsizing to something more your size would be wise. (Love your little boxes in the box especially well!) ~Robin~

JustGail said...

Nail file. I must have a nail file close at hand any time I work with threads of any sort! My kit is not so portable, being in one of those vintage Martha Washington sewing/needlework stands.

JustGail said...

Oh - I forgot glasses! Readers in a couple of strengths, depending on what count of fabric and the lighting that day.

Robin in Virginia said...

I like your little sewing boxes, Lori. In the drawer -- scissors, tape measure, needles, threads, and a bunch of stuff that hasn't been used in years.

Donna Sperling said...

I've made a couple of "sewing boxes". I just love the look of old items being used by me. My favorite is an old sewing basket of my Granny's. It holds many of the items mentioned especially it sold. I also have a witch or girl made by Netty. and a paper heart by Dru. It feeds my soul as do your pictures. Thank you.