Wednesday, August 18, 2021

~ a tisket a tasket ~

Hello Friends & Folk!
 
If you follow me on Instagram, 
~ you'll see that I have been making small little pine needle baskets... 
here is my second one that I have ever made! :
 


 
this photo below shows the first one {smaller} that I did...
 
 

and there will be many more being made in the future, that's for sure :)

 
I think they're perfect for my small sewing things
 like thimbles and strawberry emeries and such ~



too cute!


my ancestors on my father's side were of the Creek {Muscogee/Poarch Creek} Nation
and making these pine needle baskets have been one of their staples for centuries...
 
I love being connected to my roots and working with natural objects ~ 
and the photo below shows a Creek woman working on her basket:
{photo found on the web}

 
this photo below shows an antique Creek basket 
{photo found on the web}

 
 If you are interested in learning how to create your own pine needle basket,
here is wonderful tutorial that I found on Youtube:

click -----> HERE
 
 Have fun!!!

Blessings from the Farm
 ~ Lori

7 comments:

Rugs and Pugs said...

Those are too sweet, Lori.
Thanks for sharing!

NMK said...

This was fascinating Lori !!! Thank you for sharing ....

TheCrankyCrow said...

How beautiful Lori!! The mother-in-law of a friend of mine used to make beautiful pine needle baskets. I had always wanted to learn but don't believe my hands would manage it now. But I will definitely be checking out the video...just in case LOL. ~Robin~

Annmarie said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Witch of Stitches said...

Wonderful little baskets.

JustGail said...

I like your baskets, really nice work for the first attempts. The Creek basket in the bottom photo is gorgeous. And thanks for the link to the tutorial... now where can I find nice long pine needles....

Mugwump Woolies said...

These baskets are wonderful! Such a great old traditional craft. Love the petite size.