Join us for our 2024 Halloween Open House & Stitch In October 5th ~ 10:00 - 4:00

Join us for our 2024 Halloween Open House & Stitch In    October 5th ~ 10:00 - 4:00
~ Our Pre-Registered STITCH IN is FULL ~ BUT there's plenty of sweet & spooky things to see and shop for!

Friday, August 09, 2024

~ Playing Hooky in the Rain ~

 
Good Morning Friends & Folk ~
and a happy, albeit SATURATED Friday to us all...
 
I'm hoping those that have been in the brunt of the hurricane
can find some comfort and that it has passed you unscathed!

We have had mostly torrential rain and heavy winds.
our power flickered a few times and our landline phone was affected,
but we are no worse for the wear.

On dark, dreary days such as these,my mind loves to roam into the annals of my rug hooking past.
something about the shadowed effect this old farmhouse has on me,
~ just makes me want to pull a few loops.

So i did.

I finished the first pumpkin mat, then decided to hook a mini-chairpad...
{or maybe a candle mat?}
since I had my autumnal hues wools all out in front of me and my hook was warmed up lol.
 

do I stitch in this chair?
absolutely not...
just love my two old blue chairs and they compliment my wool colors beautifully.


I love to hand-cut my wool strips with scissors.
they're not straight, totally uneven and I hook very primitive-ly
so that is why you see my Loop Lifter that Peter made for me.
{he also made my favorite steel shank hook to match}


there's the finished mat.
it has been 'loop-lifted' to the best of my abilities,
then stained, steamed pressed and edges turned back and stitched down.


skinny loops, fat loops, high & low loops...
*perfect*


all of the hand dyed wools shown are from Wool'n Gardener on Etsy.
all of my as-is wools are from The Wool Studio.


here's my backside.
{pardon moi}
nothing fancy for me, no edging, no binding ~
but I will be attaching a handwritten cotton label for posterity.


I love baskets too.
this one is perfect for holding small pieces of rolled wool to cut,
and stitcps that I'm working with.


the dark patina of the rattan is perfect for me.
{also a really good bowl for balls of yarn when I crochet}


do you cut your wool with scissors?
do you use a cutter?
how do you store your wools as you work?


are you a primitive hooker?
do you prefer old-looking, muted wool colors?
 are you a fancy-finisher?
or a plain and simple like me?

I'll be in the studio today ~
I have plans to draw up a few more small mats/chairpads that I'll share once they're finished.
 
Blessings from the Farm
 ~ Lori

12 comments:

Saundra said...

When I hook my area around me is a MESS. Starting out with a new pattern it is always organized but somehow I manage to lose control and put similar colors back in their appropriate small containers. I'm a primitive hooker and use a cutter but sometimes will scissor cut a wide cut in half. But have done a hand torn hooked piece before
Happy hooking and keep an eye to the sky today.

Nancy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lori from Notforgotten Farm said...

~ I know all about those messes created!!! Thanks for the reply
And stay safe! Lori

Nancy said...

Oh! Love your primitive hooking, Lori, especially the spooky one! And your darkened farmhouse makes for the perfect display.

Betty said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Betty said...

Sorry, starting over. Oh such cute mats. I do keep my strips in a basket as I hook. They are a messy jumble. I so love the prim and use mostly 8, because that's the size cutter I have - a sizzix - but many strips come out tapered and I use those too. So thick, thinner, and thin. It's a fun thing to spend time doing. For mats I just fold back as you do. For rugs I bind their edges. Thanks for sharing your pretties.

Anonymous said...

Oh I love that pumpkin rug! Will the pattern be available in your shop soon?? ♥️♥️

NMK said...

I hook with primitive warm colors , over dyed wools are my favorites to use . Sometimes I cut my strips , but most of the time I use my Sizzix #9 strips . I have used hand torn strips about an inch wide , I love those for pumpkins . I used to only hook chair pads and matts for my tables , but I have been making medium size rugs . My friends teased me to make a "Big Girl " rug !!! LOL I love spreading my wool over a table top & pick & choose bits of colors to use here & there . I do finish my pieces with wool strips & make myself a tag with my name , date & whose pattern it is . I Love Hooking !!!
" Big Girl" rug !!! LOL

Rugs and Pugs said...

Strictly a primitive hooker with muted, dirty looking colors. I use a wool cutter but will hand cut if I need a fine strip.
When I started hooking, I would just turn the linen back. Then I took a finishing class and was told in no uncertain terms that a rug wasn't "finished" by turning back the wool ;-(

TheCrankyCrow said...

Sweet pumpkins! (Nevermind that I've not met a pumpkin I haven't loved...except maybe the pink ones at Michael's LOL). I don't consider myself much of a hooker as my hooking mojo is usually on protracted walkabouts. But when it does visit, I go for the muddy, primitive, colors. I have done some hand torn, but it is hard on my wrists/hands pulling the loops through and, therefore, usually cut using a cutter. Finishing? Well, assuming I get around to finishing, I do a variety...used to just turn over...then bound with cod and yarn whipping, then just whipping...and now prefer attaching a wool binding. Takes me longer, but like the look of it. And, I'll confess that I am a bit anal when it comes to the wool for projects....cut strips are in a ziploc bag...and, yes, they all then go in a big ol' basket. Not as attractive to look at as yours, but saves me a great deal of frustration when picking up projects after months of neglectful lack of attention...and mischievous kitties. ~Robin~

Kris said...

I love your hooked pieces!! I have not done rug hooking before but it is on my bucket list!! I have made a couple of latch hook rugs with my leftover quilt fabric strings and I have done several needle punch smalls. Is rug hooking similar?

Robin in Virginia said...

Glad you came out unscathed from Debby, Lori! I was attending the North Meets South retreat in Crystal City during the storm on Friday.