Sunday, May 26, 2024

~ Dyeing, .... Naturally ~

 
 
 
 
 Good Morning Friends & Folk!
and a very happy Sunday to us all...
hoping you're all safe, happy & healthy this Memorial Day Weekend ~ 

 I've been saving all kinds of things for natural dyeing, avocado stones and peels, onion skins, flowers, leaves and grasses.

I wanted to just dye a couple of skeins of 'white' {beige, flax, ecru, etc.} colors to see how they would tun out. Mind you, they are not heavily dyed, but more subtly, which is a wonderful look!

I simmered my avocado stones & peels then plopped in the cotton thread skeins...all in the same pot, and let them simmer for about an hour.
 
 this is the result when still wet:





after drip drying for a little while, I then carried them outside
and dried them in the full sun, turning them and separating the threads a bit more...

and here they are all dried:
 

you can see the differences in their hues better in the photo above than below ~
I really do like the way they came out!


I made enough of the dye that I jarred it,
into the jar of dye I added one solitary clove
to keep the natural dye from spoiling until I use it again. 
 
I'm planning on using these skeins in a punch needle project design
that is living in my sketchbook...

~ I'll share that with you in my next post :)
 
Blessings from the Farm
~ Lori

5 comments:

Nancy said...

This is a great post, Lori! The muted colors are soft and variegated. They would look great in an "aged" sampler, too. Love the tip regarding the clove!!

Rugs and Pugs said...

Great results.
Thanks for the clove tip. Whodda thunk?
Prayers for the families of those who paid the ultimate sacrifice so that we may be free. May God bless America.

Saundra said...

Had no clue that a clove would keep a natural dye from spoiling. Does that also include black walnuts? Guess with a Claussen pickle jar it might take 2 cloves?

Nancy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Robin in Virginia said...

This is so cool. The subtle variegation is pretty. Can't wait to see what you create with your punch.