Thursday, February 08, 2024

~ Color-Shaded Embroidery ~

 
 Hello Friends & Folk!

here is a very short primer
on how I have done my color-shaded embroidery project,
"Spring on the Farm"
which the pattern is now available in my Etsy shop as PDF download or Paper/Mailed versions...

 I used coffee stained osnaburg for my ground cloth, then drew on my motifs with a FINE point black Sharpie pen...{YOU will be using a lightbox to trace your template onto your osnaburg}

 
Once my pattern drawing {tracing} is complete,
I then use my PRISMACOLOR pencils to color in the motifs...
this is NOT A NEW TECHNIQUE, by any means...there are wonderful designers who use crayons and other types of pigments to shade their work, but for me...these work the very best.


the pressure of my hand allows my coloring to be as dark or light as I'd like,
and I actually prefer the more-faded look of a light hand.


Once the coloring part is finished, I will use 3 strands of floss to stitch my motifs...
most all of my straight lines are done in stem-stitch, while I have made tiny 'X' stitches for the letter "S" and the flower stems...I also did a running stitch on the flowerpot.

once all that is finished, I iron my project, front & back to 'set' the pencils...
{{ not that I mind the fading of them, just 'saying' lol}}


So I decided to 'finish' this project into a simple sewn mat,
then added a patch of scrap fabric and a few old buttons for charm...
 

 After I was COMPLETELY finished,
I took my pencils to the project once again, to deepen and shade my motifs just a bit more...
 
~ The finished look of this is truly folky...
and combines both my love for drawing and needlework ~

I hope you try it and that you enjoy it as much as I do!!


Blessings from the Farm
~ Lori

9 comments:

Saundra said...

Adorable and the style/technique brings back memories of my previous life getting ready to vend at my favorite shows. If I can find a photo I'll send it to you in an email.

TheCrankyCrow said...

So sweet and beautifully simple. I am not sure why, but it reminded me somewhat of my grandmother who used to do a ton of painting on fabric. The paint came in little tubes and I think it was called Artex?? Yours is obviously is a much more sophisticated technique, but I think it’s the idea of “coloring on fabric” that brought up the memory. ~Robin~

Anonymous said...

Oh my its beautiful 😍

Nancy said...

Wow. I have never heard of this technique. The only thing I have ever done remotely similar is mix a light wash of India ink for a tombstone I stitched.
Such a lovely, soft effect....!

Rugs and Pugs said...

How sweet. I love it!!!

Robin in Virginia said...

It is a beauty and thank you for sharing the how to.

JustGail said...

Thank you for the tutorial. I've seen people use crayons & ink pencils, but not Prismacolor. I'm guessing as with crayons, this is NOT for items that will be laundered.

@Robin - were those the tubes that had a roller-ball tip on them? Yes they were Artex brand. It looks like they are still available under the Aunt Martha's brand now.

marly said...

Sweet as always. Prismacolor, new to me, will check them out. Thanks!

NMK said...

This so pretty and looks fun to do ! You Clever Girl !!!