Join us for our 2024 Halloween Open House & Stitch In October 5th ~ 10:00 - 4:00

Join us for our 2024 Halloween Open House & Stitch In    October 5th ~ 10:00 - 4:00
~ Our Pre-Registered STITCH IN is FULL ~ BUT there's plenty of sweet & spooky things to see and shop for!

Wednesday, October 11, 2023

~ creative spaces and new linens ~

 
 Good morning friends and folk!
...and a very happy Wednesday to us all.

we woke this morning to beautiful sunshine, cool temps and sparkling dew
covering everything outside...shimmering droplets on each leaf, berry and thorn
made for a perfect beginning on this October morning ~

our woodstove has been piping for the past few evenings, to ward of the chill in this old farmhouse...
how i look forward every year to the smell of woodsmoke, and how my eyes feast on the dancing flames from within the soapstone & glass enclosure of the firebox, which has a place of honor between our front living room and our back keeping room.
 
I love to stitch next to this stove, which warms are heart and hearth...
{ not to mention my cold fingers and toes! }


upstairs, the sunlight streams through the lace curtains
in my sewing room in the early morning hours,
and just like a cat looking for a warm spot, I too will follow the sun around the house,
finding a bright and comfy place to rest and stitch...
 


~ natural light is my favorite to work in, and take photos of things for my stories.
there is nothing better than sunlight & shadow to make objects look their very best...

...the gleam of my old treadle's chrome, and the glow of her wooden table make my heart happy!

When I'm working on the treadle, I can't help but be transported to an earlier and simpler time,
and with the rhythm of my feet, my mind wanders back
to thoughts of those who might have used this before me ~
did she make her family's clothing?
repair work clothes for her husband? or sew baby clothes for her newborn perhaps...
or maybe she purchased the latest printed calico at the mercantile, 
and made for herself a new Sunday dress...



I recently ordered new linens for myself,  from Blackberry Primitives ~
{{their website is beautifully stocked with simple and authentic patterns & supplies}}

these will be used for new embroidery, uncounted cross stitch and applique
that I will be working on the models for.

~ the colors are rich, saturated and deep ~
so many beautiful hues of green, black, brown, gold,  palest blue, grey & red
that it is hard to choose which to begin working on!



but with the holidays looming, I think I will begin with the red linen...
festive and traditional, but also old and primitive-looking, 
and a monochromatic embroidery or uncounted cross stitch
piece will be worked onto this scarlet-hued linen.

before I begin to stitch, my creative thoughts are filled with words, color, and of course my surroundings ~
living in the country, taking care of our animals and gardens, (whether full of fruit or weeds)
always is inspiration for my work.

Oh! and the seasons...
of course the changing seasons are an integral part of my needlework.



I guess by being a creative soul,
just about everything is fodder for my imagination.

I love to play classical, bluegrass or jazz music when I work,
or I'll work outside where I can hear Nature's symphony of rustling leaves, birdsong,
crickets, humming bees and the cackling of crows far-off in the distant tree-tops.
...the soft sound of a clucking hen, the bray of our donkeys ~
or even the sound of our creek
back behind the house will trickle into my brain and transport me to a place
where I'm warm, safe, comfortable and loved.

Needlework does this to me.
~ my saving grace, my happy 'place'
my heart, my love,
my sanity.


always, there is a cup of hot tea nearby...
as well as my favorite scissors, threads and chunks of beeswax.
of course my sketchbooks are within reach, to jot down fleeting thoughts,
memories or anything else that comes to mind while I stitch.

sometimes I'll revisit previous works of mine
and think on how I can use one of my motifs in a new way...
with still keeping my authentic self intact and integral in my work.



Do you have a favorite creative space to work in?
or, like me...do you have many?
I truly would love to know!

you may purchase your very own linen from
www.blackberryprimitives.com


Blessings from the Farm
 ~ Lori

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your words are so eloquent as I sit here listening to the sound of a darn washing machine!! Heeheehee

Nancy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Mine is in my recliner near my gas log stove. Currently working on a penny tree skirt! Just bought a Sizzix machine and circle die which makes it so completely easier to cut the circles. Love reading your stories!

TheCrankyCrow said...

Beautiful photographs, beautiful linen, and beautifully transporting words. Like you, I have many places that stir my heart and mind, but for my needle and thread, I need my old battered chair by the window with my magnifying light nearby. I'm a bit more "portable" when hooking but my fur familiar prefers to squeeze into "my" chair when I work (play?) so my chair it is. ~Robin~

Anonymous said...

Beautiful in every way!

Nancy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
JustGail said...

I have either the sewing room, not really comfortable due to clutter. And there is my chair in the living room for needlework. I usually have the TV on, just as background noise. I really should listen to KCCK more at home - it's a fantastic 24 hour jazz station out of the local community college. Also available to listen to over the internet. Or listen to NPR, especially on Science Fridays.

Those linens are gorgeous! Thanks for the source for them.

Robin in Virginia said...

Beautiful post you shared, Lori! The linens are so pretty.

Stasi said...

Lori, What a lovely post...you have many gifts!

Betty said...

I, like you, love natural light so I chase it around the house or go outside. Lots of neighborhood noises where I live and they carry through this canyon so I often cannot find peace in my back yard. Peace & light to you.