Thursday, August 31, 2023

~ water & pigment ~

 
~ Hello Friends & Folk ~ 
and a beautiful, happy thursday to us all....

{{  I say beautiful, because we have a cool, breezy dry day here in our parts of Virginia. }}
yet our thoughts and prayers are of course with those in the path of the hurricane and storms.....
 
✮✭✬✫❂✹✸✷★✷✸✹❂✫✬✭✮

I've been working on a few larger paintings, that I have special plans for but
it always amazes me how a drop of water and pigment
can magically turn into paint, ink or dye.


...when I was a child, my art teacher in junior high school up in Connecticut
taught us how to paint in watercolor ~
she was very talented at it and I think her enthusiasm for the technique really influenced me.


I can remember her showing us how to layer the colors, add texture & shadow.
at the time of the class, it was Autumn...and the leaves outside our classroom windows
were on fire with their colors of crimson, gold, yellow and greenish-brown.

...the trees reflected into a pond, that was encircled by large rocks
that, in the winter time, when the pond froze over
would become our seats where we would tighten our skates....


she shared with us how to think out f the box
and add things to our paintings that weren't necessarily
in our eyesight, but from our imagination.

I of course, added crows to my trees and pumpkins alongside the pond's edge.
after all it was, as she told us, our painting, our vision and our imaginations
that we were rendering on our papers.
happily...she seemed very pleased with my additions lol.


I've begun to now create my own pigments for my artwork...
using natural materials such as bark, berries, rock, moss.
such a special feeling knowing that my paints come from mother earth ~

oh there are so many things I want to experiment with!


I'm extremely thankful for my art teacher
...and the time and patience she gave to us.
 and I think she knew
that I would, from that day forward, continue to dabble in this medium.


Blessings from the Farm
~ Lori

6 comments:

Saundra said...

I've never been good at watercolor and only mediocre with oils. But I did enjoy oil painting at the time because I hadn't tried rug hooking, lol. Your Goode Garden Witch looks lovely.

Rugs and Pugs said...

Your talents are simply amazing!!!

Nancy said...

So un-earthly, your Imagination's Eye, Lori...your Earth pigments lending a reality to your subject! I love her...!

Anonymous said...

Love your story about your art teacher.

TheCrankyCrow said...

This is one of your best works yet methinks. The colors are so expressive. You are so fortunate to have had such a wonderful art teacher and one who could inspire her students with her gifts not only of art but of teaching. I am most certain she would be impressed and humbled by your talent. ~Robin~

Robin in Virginia said...

Beautiful colors you are using! Have a wonderful weekend, Lori!