Wednesday, July 19, 2023

~ stitching up a storm ~

it has rained too much. it is too hot. the bugs are overwhelming due to the humidity. our gardens are overgrown and need weeding. laundry won't dry on the line so why even try. water in the basement. dehumidifier and ac's working overtime. stress, worries and the weather doesn't help one bit.
SO ~
I have been storm-stitching....
and with each stitch taken, I sink my brain into my work.
hoping to rinse away intrusive thoughts ~
am I trying to calm a storm or to bring one forth?
...I have thunderous thoughts and lightning-quick ideas 
that need to be written down before they end ~
... and just like the rain,
 threads and cloth surround and submerge me in tidal pools, 
~ like a spinning nest in the bottom of my sewing basket.

rooting through my baskets of cloth scraps,
I came upon some larger pieces that I will stitch upon.
what will I stitch? how will i stitch?
who knows but it will happen...


perhaps counted cross stitch or uncounted cross stitch.
or embroidery.
or both.


also found smaller scraps of printed fabrics.
i think i will i marry them to my stitching...


i don't want to use a lot of color ~ i'll stick to neutrals like browns, blacks...white & cream.
or maybe i'll throw in a pop or two of riotous-color just to shake things up.
we'll see.


tomato-red has been on my mind lately...
maybe a red schoolgirl-inspired sampler of sorts?



yesterday my mom was admitted to the hospital with emphysema,
pneumonia, and other yet-undiagnosed things.
she is in Connecticut, 500 miles away from me and my plans were made
to visit her on her 93rd birthday in June
...but those plans changed when I got sick.

so I postponed my trip and rescheduled until this coming sunday, 
we are waiting for test results today.
 
 
Blessings from the Farm 
~ Lori

8 comments:

Saundra said...

Oh Lori I'm so sorry your mother is ill and in the hospital. Just adds to your worries. Hope your stitching calms the thunderous stress beast causing havoc.

When you leave on Sunday please try to have a clear head so you will be safe on the road.

TheCrankyCrow said...

I do love the storms you are summoning (or quelling?) and the creativity born of them. Strange how some are deluged and others of us are droughted. Another of nature's whimsies. I am so sorry to read of the turn in your mother's health...Sending healing energy her way. Hugs ~Robin~

Nancy said...

Dearest. I love how you lean into your Creativity in troubled times.
And sometimes it seems the Universe is working against us...
But you know things will change, just as sure as Summer will melt into glorious Autumn. Take care. I will pray for you and your deare Mother...🌱🌻🍁

Nancy said...

I left a note twice...disappeared. Stay the course, Lori.❤️

Rugs and Pugs said...

Hugs and prayers for mom...and you. So hard, especially being so far away.
Safe travels.

Jo said...

Lori, I’m sorry to hear your Mother is not doing well. Prayers for her & safe travels for you. Yes, stitching, rug hooking, punch needle, etc does calm our stress levels & hopefully takes our minds to peaceful thoughts.....for awhile! Those hot humid days makes us ready for beautiful fall temperatures & colors! A group of us are headed to Vermont tomorrow, and the rains & weather are not much better there! Take care! !

Robin in Virginia said...

Praying for your Mom and for you as you await her test results. Let the movement of your plied needle provide you with a calm as you wait. Thinking of you.

NMK said...

So sorry Lori , your poor mother , with this heat and humidity , just makes it harder for her poor heart . Hopefully she will be just fine .....take care and enjoy playing with your needle and beautiful threads to ease your mind .