Thursday, May 11, 2023

~ I’m hooking again ~


After a pretty long break from rug hooking, I’m back at it!!
I’ve been looking through my older patterns and finishes and I just couldn’t stand not hooking…

The reason for such a long break? Well, back a few years, I had eye surgery to remove cataracts, fix an astigmatism, correct ‘open-angle drains’ and have lens implants to improve my eyesight. All was well for a while while recovering, except that the wool dust was killing my eyes!

Every time I stripped or cut wool, the dust seemed to get sucked into my eyeballs, making them itchy & watery and blurry. Friends and family suggested I wear goggles, but really, who wants to do that? Lol

So I put off going near wool. And missed it. A lot. 
I occasionally tried a bit of hooking or appliqué from time to time but ended up quitting before I finished a project…
But I am no quitter! 
I am back hooking and so far the eyes aren’t being bothered like they were by the wool dust ~ that could possibly be due to the fact that there is SO much pollen in the air that I’m not seeing/feeling a difference between allergies and wool dust! Ha!

So long story short, here is my recent progress on a quick project I drew up ~


I’ve chosen my wools, the hand dyed ones are from Jan Cole
and the as is wools are from Rebecca at https://www.thewoolstudio.com/


So far I have hooked leaves and stems, and am almost ready to start on my flowers… I want this to be a very primitive and humble-looking rug when I’m finished, so I’ll share my progress with you all 🌻



Happy hooking!!!!

Blessings from the Farm
 ~ Lori

8 comments:

TheCrankyCrow said...

Well, welcome back tot he world of hooking. It is a temptress craft I think - no matter far away I stray or how long I stray, I always find my way back to it. I just finished up hooking one of your designs actually (Early Bird). Love your beautiful selection of wools - that green is amazing. ~Robin~

Saundra said...

So glad you are back hooking again. You may have missed it but I missed seeing your hooking projects. I use eye drops for my allergies and dry eye issues ~ oh, and I've also had cataract surgery and again on one when I developed scar tissue from the surgery.
Looking forward to seeing more of the project and I also like humble and primitive.

Nancy said...

Like coming home...💚

NMK said...

I can't wait to see this pretty design !!! So happy your eyes are doing ok with the wool dust and all the pollen in the air !!! Happy Hooking !!!

kcmrugs@gmail.com said...

Yay for a hooking Lori! I’m sure the outcome will be as wonderful as all of your pieces! The Wool Studio is my fav

Robin in Virginia said...

What pretty wools you have chosen for your return to hooking, Lori! Happy Friday and have an enjoyable weekend!

Rugs and Pugs said...

Happy hooking.
WELCOME BACK!

Rugs and Pugs said...

Great to see you hooking again! Jan Cole has THE BEST wool ;-)