Wednesday, October 21, 2020

~ Dyeing Naturally... ~


 
Good Morning Friends & Folk ~
it's been a minute since I've been able to actually sit and write a new blog post...
I do apologize, but I'm here now and that's what counts!

The Oaks and the Black Walnut trees have been gifting us 
with more than their share of nuts & acorns this year ~

٭ ✴ ✵ ✶ ✷ ✸ ✹ ★ ✹ ✸ ✷ ✶ ✵ ✴ ٭
 
 I have taken my cue for this posting from my Dear Friend Nancy Duncan
{remember the fabulous blog named The Bonny White Hare?}

Nancy & I are friends through time, 
~ friends through space and
we talk via this crazy internet...
 ~ it is a blessing to open my gmail and see one of her {almost} daily 'letters' to me.

Nancy is well-versed in many things, 
and she & I connect on so many different and varied subjects;
the other day she was telling me how she planned to dye some cloth with acorns 
and then showed me the results of her work.

Yesterday I gathered acorns on my daily morning walk in our woods and field,
and threw in a couple of black walnuts for good luck ~

 
I found some scraps of linen, osnaburg 
and a small piece of green/cream polka dot fabric for the dye pot...

I put the acorns and black walnuts into an old steamerpot that I use for dyeing,
and let them bubble for a good while on the stove.
 
 
Once my dyebath was dark enough for my liking,
in went my cloth ~ then bubbled that for a while too...
 
Afterwards I glugged-in a bit of white vinegar to set the dye into the cloth
and let the pot/dye/fabric cool slowly.
 
...then it was out to my clothesline to hang to dry ~
{the fabric shows darker when it is wet}

 
this is the end result, below...
very primitive, old looking and perfect for one of my naive
UNcounted cross stitch projects ~
 
 
I may finish this project into a small pillow using the polka dot fabric aforementioned...
or may just simply frame it in a black frame.
 
✯ ✫ ✬ ✭ ✮ ☪ ✮ ✭ ✬ ✫ ✯

I am hoping to have another
 Etsy Shop Update for Finished Goods soon!

Blessings from the Farm
 ~ Lori

No comments: