Thursday, July 27, 2017

~ Background Check ~


 Hello Friends & Folk ~
it's Thursday! 
one more day til the weekend....
~ hoping to get a little kayaking in perhaps on Sunday,
if the cooler temps hold out for us :)

 So I am in the home stretch 
of finishing the humongous background of my 
'When Pigs Fly' punch needle design ~

and I am combining many different variegated colors of Valdani #8 pearl cotton
 with plain DMC black/310 cotton floss ~ 
this lends a great deal of movement to my background, 
as I wanted it to have an interesting background for my motifs to 'float' on...

the photo below shows the back, or 'working' side of my project ~

 after outlining my motifs a number of times with my variegated pearl cottons,
I intentionally leave 'spot's and places to go back in & fill with DMC black/310
and I ALWAYS use all 6 strands of floss when I work with my punch needle.


How you punch, meaning in which direction, 
really has the most to do with how static or not your background is...
I tend to keep my motifs simple, and love to play with my backgrounds....
and since they are usually where most of the punching is on my designs ~ 
that is where I want to add texture and fun!
 
Here are a few previous designs of mine
 that  have interesting backgrounds:
this one is all variegated pearl cotton from one ball ~ in beautiful blues...



this, too is all variegated pearl cottons...
but two different balls of two different colors:
 

now this one below, is ALL DMC floss... 
but I have chosen my thread colors to compliment one another and replicate stains & age:


see how fun mixing it up is?
don't let your background be boring!
 

for my Turkey & Tallowberries background, I wanted the look of an old hooked rug, that perhaps the maker ran out of the black wool and had to use what she had on-hand.
This is a favprite technique of mine to use with my punch needle and threads:
 

for my Farmhouse Chores Series, I used one color of variegated pearl cotton for all 4 designs ~
keeping them all cohesive ~ and can you see the movement in them? like the blue sky is being touched by a gentle breeze as my little Farmwife works away:


adding borders and edge-motifs helps to fill up a background a little quicker too, 
like the triangles on these two below:
 

For a lighter colored background, I used 2 different DMC colors...
same shade {white} but different values {bright & darker}:
 

and don't ever be afraid to add little surprises to your backgrounds! 
see the bottom-half of my design below?
see the little 'bubbles' of lighter thread colors set amongst the mostly-black background?
yep....fun and not boring ;)


There are so many ways to add interest to your punch needle ~ 
like mixing up threads, changing needle-depth for dimensional effect.
etc & so on...
 

This is where all of my punch needle models live:
in our humble little Needlework Shop here at the farm
 ♥

~ my chalkboard says it all ~ 


oh!
almost forgot ~ 
my passion fruit/flower vine has fruit!


wishing you all a beautifully creative day my friends...
 
Blessings from the Farm 
~ Lori