Saturday, September 12, 2015

Some Saturday Stuff ~

Howdy Folks! 
and a Happy Soggy Saturday to you all ~
{{friendly reminder that our farm shop is CLOSED until Sept. 19th}}

We went to the auction again last night ~ 
met our friends Joan & Arthur {Olde Rectory Antiques}
and saw Robin & Lee Harrison {Millstone Mercantile}
and many others too, as it was a HUGE auction 
filled with all kinds of primitive-delights from a very busy collectors' estate…

I won the darker sewing basket & the scroll-cut wall box below:




the larger, lighter colored basket is one in my collection, 
and I couldn't believe I found another one similar
 {except for color & size, and a tiny different weaving on the lid.}

The scroll wall box is oak, 
and once held a small mirror or tin-type photograph in the empty circular portion in the center…
there are nail-holes on the back surrounding the round hole showing where something 
was once held in place ~ I'm thinking I may put a small punch needle or 
velvet pincushion in there and use it now as a sewing box in my sewing room to hold scissors.







This coming week will have me running full steam ~
preparing finishes for the projects I'm working on, getting the shop all spiffy for our show 
and working in the gardens too, gleaning flower heads & such 
… to use as my dye-stuffs for the winter season ahead…
I'll have two kettles going on open fires during the show where I'll be dyeing wools using naturals :)
I'll be cutting new wools, velvets & Civil War era quilting fabrics, dyeing linens, printing charts & cleaning, cleaning…..always cleaning.

~)))))))))))))))0(((((((((((((((~

I may or may not be as available to post here again soon, but hopefully will be back in a couple of days to share more of my finished goods that will be available at our show…

here are a few glimpses of some mixed-needlework projects in progress, below:
{{and by mixed-needlework I'm referring to needle punch, 
rug hooking, appliqué & embroidery all-in-one project}}
:)




I punched the little witch in striped purple dress last night, while watching the final episode of
the Civil War on PBS…
a beautiful, beautiful documentary that every living American should sit and watch.

I absorbed every word of the narrators voices,
and I was transported into each photograph shown.
~ I could feel the pain of the wives and mothers on both sides of the Nation divided...

My Mother's side of the family is from Pennsylvania, 
& my Father's from Alabama.

I sometimes wonder if my families fought against each other?
I will be learning more about that as I now want to know more of my own history.





Hoping you all have a quiet, peaceful & creative weekend my Friends…

~ Blessings from the Farm ~
 Lori

10 comments:

denise said...

love the baskets!!!

Anonymous said...

Nice auction scores, Lori! And I absolutely love your mixed mediums for your new art pieces. I, too, watched the Civil War series on PBS, most nights. Amazing photographs. You know, the Civil War I believe was the first war ever photographed, and it had and continues to have a profound effect on all of us. Headed to Ipswich, Lowell, and Salem next week for fiber and history fun, and will be taking my Salem 1826 (1626 ?) sampler with me to experience fully the North Shore and its history. Have a great week preparing for the show and sale!

Unknown said...

The baskets are amazing!! I would love to find those nearby!! Blessings my friend!!

Simply Quaint said...

Raining soggy dreary day here in Ohio, canning green tomatoes, roasting garlic and tomatoes, stitching and sipping hot tea....Just love your winnings, wish I lived closer would just love to come to your show......have fun, can't wait to see pictures.....

Blessings
Rhonda

Jacqueline said...

Your work is always beautiful.

Silent Stitches said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Silent Stitches said...

Hi Lori, Gorgeous sewing basket & box! Luv the works in progress,especially the adorable kitten!
The weather is perfect here today, tomorrow, we'll get the much needed rain. Taking advantage of the sun and will be tidying up the dooryard garden. "Have a wonderful weekend!" Best wishes,~Charl

jerilanders said...

Great basket, even better when you fill it with your threads and linens. Always loved the Civil war series,I still own the old VCR set..that seems ancient these days.

Sharon from VT said...

Love, love, love your Halloween punching designs & colors!

Running with a sharp pencil said...

I love to go to estate sales --have never been to an auction, but I think it would be fun! I love your new designs! Perfect for autumn! I am so mad at myself that I forgot about the Civil War series! I guess I may just have to buy it! My great-g-g-grandfather was a Confederate officer in Arkansas, and another ancestor was a musician in the Vermont military--so I'm not sure he saw battle. I have letters written during this time when my 4 greats-grandmother was tortured along with 9 other women by a group of rogue Kansas Jayhawkers who burned their feet to try to get them to tell where their valuables were hidden. I have the old coin silverware engraved with her initials that were buried. She refused to tell. Her daughter brought her to Little Rock where her leg had to be amputated and she died two years later. Many women suffered due to hardship and deprivation. The Feds came and took their cooking utensils, preserved food, salt and livestock--she said "it would make angels weep so see what they have done". She was well known to the federal officers as she ran the family mail business while her husband was at war. Her son described her as "fearless". A federal officer told her daughter after the attack that if this had happened to his mother he would live only to kill feds.