Monday, January 27, 2014

Quiet Monday ~

Hello!
...hoping everyone reading this has thawed out a bit?

we have been keeping our wood stoves piping-hot these past few days ~
Peter's been cutting & chopping wood,
{{I have been sweeping up the wood chips near said wood stoves.}}

aside from that,
the weekend was busy ~
although Saturday we had a some-what weird day in the shop:
seems as though the woodstove in there 
wanted to belch out woodsmoke 
...and fill up the shop while we were trying to work ~
I do apologize Ladies...*cough cough*

Sunday, Charlie came for his supper ...
he is looking frail to me again, somewhat more disheveled than usual and a bit more shaky.
I'll have to check with his nurses to make sure his sugar-levels are correct. 
{{remember that he is 83 and just a few months-ago 
was hospitalized with pneumonia, congestive heart failure & renal failure}}

Charlie enjoys jigsaw puzzles,
so while I'm cooking supper for us, he sits at the dining room table, drinks his sweet-tea
 and pieces them together ~
the one we're working on is a buster ~ 1000 pieces...but Charlie loves it.

So today I have a quiet day ~
I'll finally finish a couple of things that I've been working on...
like the bathroom curtains ~ 
...using the beautiful fabric below:


faded brick red with cream colored chain stitching

 { then I'll do a little more of that sweeping I mentioned... }




I'll wet my brushes and work on that little Robin-girl sketch too...


pretty watercolors

...then I'll pick up my needle and enjoy some quiet handwork
with a cat on my lap ~ 


antique quilt on my rack

 I think I may even go outside, visit our garden 
and ask permission (from said bush) to cut a few branches from our Forsythia bush 
and kindly force some flowers ~
...the ones below are faux,
but still they brighten my day :)


my old bicycle basket....really!

 more of the "faux-sythia" (good one! lol!!)
 in my big old ironstone pitcher below...


our little keeping room ~

 and then I will get back to the bathroom redux ~
Peter is working on the final painting of the window...
it needs to be reglazed and re-roped.

we've added some new (old, but new to us) things to the room too...

here is a peek at the curtain rods we've put up ~
they are beautiful,
a bit ornate but still simple to me and I cannot wait to hang the new curtains from them!!


one half of the pair ~ they swing open to let the sunshine in ~ LOVE the rust & paint...


here is a tease of an old wall-mounted oil-lamp holder below
that we picked up junking in Appomattox:
it will hold a candle or perhaps an ivy ~ not sure yet ;)


I'm mixing ornate with primitive for this old farmhouse of ours...and I'm loving it!

 below is an old hanging oak medicine cabinet
 that I bought at the Simple Goods show a couple of years ago...

...it had a new mirror in it,
 so Peter replaced it for me with old wavy-glass 
that we recycled from some windows 
...that we replaced here in the farmhouse ~

I've filled it up with bottles that we've dug from the grounds here at the farm, old shaving brushes, vintage tin containers and a few bars of Kirkman Borax Soap ~


the original stenciling reads: "Dr. Daniels WARRANTED MEDICINES"


 the photo below shows one of the comb boxes I collect ~
...this one was also found at the Appomattox Gallery 
and came with a small hand mirror and old tintype photograph of a handsome woman...


love the patina on the tin

So there you have it
(for now)
More snaps to come of the bath, painting and curtains!!



Hoping your day is a peaceful & productive one ~

* Blessed be * 
Lori