Wednesday, May 06, 2020

~ My Antique Samplers ~

Hello Friends & Folk!
happy Wednesday to us all ~

a bit on the chilly side, some sun, mostly clouds... 
was hoping I could stitch out on the porch swing today, but I'm afraid my threads 
will follow the wind and blow away!

So indoor stitching it will be then....

I have only 4 antique samplers in my possession ~ 
and they are all not of the highest-quality, most-likely 
from years of being handled and not framed properly
but I love them still.

This one is faded and worked on rough homespun linen
with pale colored {faded} threads...


the close up below shows slubs in the linen, 
and stitches that are crossed this-way and that-way
{which is how I stitch so I can related}
we can see a small bird and a tiny dog if we look closely...
I have not been able to find any name/date on this work.



 ✂  ✂  ✂  ✂  ✂  ✂  ✂  ✂  ✂  ✂  ✂  ✂  ✂ 

This sampler below, is one I purchased unframed.
It resides in a frame that I had {which does it no justice whatsoever}.
the threads look to be silks, and what little threads remain, are still vibrant ~




Looking closer,
the maker stitched her name, Maria Hadley, 
and an unreadable date  
on the lower left, with a few red hearts...

I wish I knew what verse she stitched...perhaps I should look at this more closely?


✖  ✖  ✖  ✖  ✖  ✖  ✖  ✖  ✖  ✖  ✖  ✖  ✖  ✖  ✖  ✖

This sampler below, is in it's original frame ~ and yes it is missing the upper left corner piece,
but again ~ my heart loves humble, so....

the linen on this one looks finer than the one above,
... but still retains a homespun look with many slubs ~
I am a fool for blue and love the hues of the threads used for this work:




our close-up shows a date that was perhaps picked out or lost to time
and perhaps the maker's name as well?
but a very recognizable "HER EXAMPLER" 
still remains in a darker thread which look to be cotton.
 

〰️〰️〰️〰️〰️〰️〰️〰️〰️〰️〰️〰️〰️〰️〰️〰️〰️〰️〰️〰️
 And this sampler, my favorite of them all,
is one I purchased long ago ~ I saw it and immediately had to have it,
never seeing a sampler housed in a Victorian wicker serving tray before!

someone loved it enough to keep it clean and nice, although not under glass ~




again, those blue threads, most likely indigo dyed....
and this sampler is marked with the maker's name,
"ELIZA CHACE" 
her work looks to be unfinished, and although there is no date stitched
in the threads used throughout the sampler,
a very poignant date of 1818 worked in black threads, 
seems to have been added later by someone else ~
I have since found out that a family member 
may have gone back to the unfinished work
and stitched the year of the samplermakers' death in black thread, 
to memorialize them further.


 I have in fact, re-charted my Eliza Chace Sampler
and offer it to members of my Facebook Group:

the PDF file of the above sampler is there for group members to use to recreate their very own ~
If you're not a member, click on the photo/link below and request to join ~


Samplermakers Group on Facebook

 Hoping your day is filled with Good Things
 that make your humble heart happy ~


Blessings from the Farm
 ~ Lori

4 comments:

The Eveningstitcher said...

I love your samplers, Lori! I have a few that I have lucky enough to purchase at reasonable prices...but I would love to have one with a house on it. They go for really high prices! I'm a sucker for a sampler with blue in it, as well! Have a great day!!

Lori from Notforgotten Farm said...

Hi Bobbie! I would. love to see your antique samplers too!
Lori

NMK said...

Your samplers are beautiful , love the faded blues and the one in the serving tray is a great way to display a sampler !!!

Lori from Notforgotten Farm said...

I love it too ~ such a unique finish from so long ago!