Saturday, July 27, 2013

{ Oldwick Burying Ground }

 
Just a couple snaps
 to show you the stitched finish of my
 
~ Oldwick Burying Ground ~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


A sampler reminiscent of the ancient graveyards
I would visit as a child growing up in Connecticut ~
The old oak trees and crows were my companions
...and the rusty iron fences were my playground boundaries.
I can close my eyes and smell the leaves and crisp Autumn air....
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Model Stitched by the Nimble Fingers of Felicia (Flea) Martin.
 
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 
 Model stitched onto 30ct. Old Farmhouse Linen
stitched one strand of floss over 2 threads of linen ~


entire sampler shown above

stitch count: 148w x 149h
finished size stitched on 30ct = 9.87" x  9.93"
 
 

i tried to replicate an old gnarled oak with it's deep bark colors...


little bird high above holds the key to the rusty gate....


simple, muted colors lend a faded aged look ~
 
 floss colors used are DMC:
422
611
831
3021
645
310
 
remember me....


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`
I will be framing this one.
Miss Flea is working on the 'Widow's Weeds' sampler
 
and I, well...
I am still working on the OWL O'ween design.
 
I know...
get on with it already, right?
~
 
 
Lori from
Notforgotten Farm

20 comments:

Nan ~ Threadwork Primitives said...

Oh Lori, I just LOVE this one. It will look great framed. I know the feeling of these slow summer days that pass by so quickly and it seems like you just can't get all the stitching done you want to. Enjoy!
~Nan

Penny said...

Lori, You are the queen of Halloween!!! I want all of your new designs and some of that wonderful linen to go with them. Please hurry, as I have nothing to stitch. LOL! :)

denise said...

love it! denise

Shelly said...

I second what Penny said! There's something about your take on Halloween. When I look at Oldwick Burying Ground, I see Edgar Allan Poe, the Salem Wtch Trials. Sometimes bright orange pumpkins just doesn't do it! Can't wait for your new designs to come out!

Jacqueline said...

Your designs and color sense are amazing.

P.J. said...

Another winner! Terrific design.

Barb said...

I love your choice of colors! Such a great design!

Patti said...

Oh Lori! All I can say is WOW! Each Halloween design you have done this year I think is your best ever! I absolutely love them. Better warm up my stitching fingers :)
Blessings, Patti

Unknown said...

Enchanting!!

Unknown said...

How wonderful, I just love this!

cucki said...

I love it too ❤❤

My Colonial Home said...

Hi Lori
My goodness your work is to PERFECTION .
What a fun theme to be working with
Karen

Raymond Homestead said...

A great design!

Debra said...

Decisions, decisions! I love "Oldwick Burying Ground"! Some of my ancestors are buried in just such a place in CT!

Betsy's Basket Blog said...

Lori, What do you do with all of your awesome completed pieces? My eyes just won't allow me to do this small work any longer and you have made several pieces I would LOVE to purchase. Do you ever sell them??
Anita

canngil said...

You sell the patterns, yes?
I would love to do this and personalize it with the names of the graveyards my family is scattered in across the country....

Linda said...

Yes please get on with it - hurry UP! LOL! I lived one street over from a cemetery. My best friend and I spent many summer days - walking around there - looking at the old stones way in the back...the newer ones in the front - thinking about their lives and their families... We spent many hours sitting on the stone gates also - talking the days away....

Linda in VA

Linda in VA

Karen said...

Love the drabness of this design.... will need to this one to my wishlist!

marly said...

Wonderful! Love it all and that bird is chirping to me.

Lori Ann Corelis said...

Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful . . . as usual!
:-)
Lori Ann