Friday, February 06, 2009

Leaky Buckets, Foxtails and Mary...

Let me first begin by sharing this morning's "fun on the farm" story with you...

Every morning, on weekday mornings that is, I take care of all of our farm animals.
Sheep, ducks, hens & roosters, Guinea fowl, dogs and cats...
I begin by first bringing Hannah to the bus stop, about 6:45 a.m....so needless to say, I'm still wearing my jammies. and it's cold.
Once Hannah is on the bus, I drive back to the house, park my vehicle and set about getting everyone fed & watered.
now you know it's been cold, as I've been mentioning lately...and thusly, our hydrant near the barn froze up.
This simply means that I must carry buckets of ice-cold water from the shop, to the animals on the other side of the farmyard....not really a long trek, but when it's 14 degrees, and your carrying 2 five gallon buckets full of ice-cold water, AND you're wearing your jammies...it starts to feel like a longer trek than it is...
SOOOOooo...I go fill up the buckets, and on my way to the barn, while carrying them, I notice that my right foot is getting colder and colder.
Hmmm....oh...how nice.
the bucket on my right has sprung a leak.
Lovely.

So I am now waddling faster, still carrying both buckets,
trying to get to the barn before ALL of the water is gone from the right bucket...
*whew*
i made it. still a little water left in the bucket....
(although I could have easily poured out my right clog if I needed more.)
So I proceed to water the sheep...who, by now, I know are laughing at me in their sheepish way.
I empty the buckets, but still need more for the chickens....so I head back to the shop's spigot.
by now, my right foot is completely numb.
I fill up the 'good' bucket
(after throwing the leaky one a good mile away in spite)
and head back to the chicken house...
oh...by the way...I usually am accompanied every morning by Lazy & Buddy....
but this particular morning they were nowhere to be found
& I enjoyed the fact that I didn't have to trip over them...
back to the story...
while carrying the good bucket-full back to the barn,
I noticed something 'furry' out of the corner of my eye...
not wanting to have to pick up a dead squirrel,
or worse,
so early in the morning, with a numb foot, and in my jammies,
i gingerly walked closer to the 'fur'....
it was a Fox tail...Hmmm again...
& where are the dogs?
Oh, yeah...here they come...bounding up behind me...
(still holding my bucket of water and trying not to tinkle myself now because I was SO cold and you know how we Ladies get in the cold...ya just gotta tinkle!)
and I didn't want them to get that stinky Fox tail...
...so I bend over to pick it up.
Buddy, now seeing me bending over with my back to him, holding a stinky fox tail and a bucket of water, must have thought it was time to jump up on my back for a little 'fun-time'.
wrong.
the bucket emptied out all over my left foot,
the foxtail ended up in buddy's mouth,
and I landed on the ice-cold ground.
in my jammies.
*ugh*
I swear when I stood up, the sheep were absolutely guffawing at me...
I threw that bucket a mile and a half away, and it landed in the woods somewhere...
maybe a Fox with a really sore hiney would find it....
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Here is the other little doll I made last night...her name is

Mary

i gave her a little quilt to cosy up with...
the paper heart that is pinned to her reads
"my heart is full..."

I gave her brown glass-bead eyes...
she sort of has that far-away look, don't you think?
Maybe she's looking for those blasted buckets...
Hoping your day was a little better than mine,
although I did get a chuckle out of my morning!
~Lori~



5 comments:

jane augenstein said...

Oh, Lori you poor thing! I'm sorry but I'm laughing so hard that I am nearly wetting my pants! LOL I have had cold water in my muck boots and it's COLD not fun, then to think all the animals are laughing their animal laughs at us adds insult to injury!!!
Your dolls are beautiful....hope you find your buckets! :-)
hugs to you...for a good laugh go to my blog and listen to Pokey!

Sherry said...

Oh Lori! What a rough morning you had! You have more guts than I do though cause you couldn't pay me to pick up a fox tail! You need to make a lap quilt for yourself to snuggle up with on these cold days!

Katy said...

oh my goodness...LOL! That was a hilarious story!!! Totally sounds like something that would happen to me! I hope you went inside and got a nice cup of hot chocolate and relaxed for a bit..LOL!

Love Love the new doll!!! She is beautiful and I Love her quilt! :)

Constance said...

I just love the dolls. I hope the rest of your day went better than the morning, I loved the story.

Julie said...

Mary is so precious!