Saturday, January 31, 2009

Sentimental Pillows ~


I can remember visiting my Mom's sister, Miriam
(Aunt Mim)...
She had a pillow on her bed
that had dozens of tiny yellow buttons
sewn on in the shape of a basket...
I loved how sweet & nostalgic it was, so I thought I would make some...
The two in the photos above are now on Etsy~if you'd like to take a look.
They are each hand-made, using my old Pfaff treadle machine...
stuffed with wool scraps for weight and a lumpy 'old-fashioned' feel..
I've hand-stitched dozens of buttons on,
then added vintage millinery flowers/corsages/ribbons from my stash.
I think they are so pretty!
PERFECT for my Spring Farmhouse!
let me know what you think?
~~~~~~~~
It is sunny here today...blue skies and cold breezes.
I've been watching a small flock of Robin's on our front lawn...
They're eating what's left of the fallen Persimmons under the tree,
and the ground is moist from the ice-storm...
great for pulling up a fat juicy worm or two.

I love the way they hop-hop about on their little feet!

Our neighbors have asked us if we'd like some of their
brood of hens that are almost ready for laying....

absolutely!!!

...nothin' like a farm fresh egg ~
they taste SO different from those pale, runny ones
at the grocery store.
ugh.
as a matter of fact,
I think I'll make Peter & I omeletes for dinner tonight,
since Hannah will be staying at a friend's house
& I don't have to cook a big meal...
(yay!)
Here's how I make mine...

~Farmhouse Omelettes~
6 eggs
1/2 cup milk
1 tblsp. butter
1 cup chopped mushrooms
1 cup chopped tomato
1 cup feta or goat's cheese (crumbled)
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped spinach (fresh)
sea salt, ground pepper and garlic powder to taste.
Over medium heat, drop butter into pan and melt...
combine eggs and milk, scrambling well and pour into pan...
let the eggs bubble a bit then turn heat to low...
add other ingredients on top of egg, and fold egg over itself...cook well.
Serve with Rye or Pumpernickle Toast!
Mmmm...Mmmm...GOOD!
~Lori~


5 comments:

basketsnprims said...

Lori,
I love your pillows. You did such an awesome job on them and what a lot of work, all those buttons. I love farm fresh eggs, no comparison to those things they call eggs at the supermarket. Have a wonderful evening.

Pam

Katy said...

OH! I love the pillows! They are so cute and what a wonderful idea! :) I think they are perfect for spring! :)

I agree...nothing better than fresh eggs! Unfortunately for us...with this cold and snow we are having...our hens aren't laying at all :(. I am totally looking forward to spring! :)

Sherry said...

Oh, these pillows are just wonderful! I especially love the top one! There is nothing like having breakfast for dinner!

janeu729 said...

Love the button baskets!!
You've seen robins?? I've had about 20 different kinds of birds at the feeders and in the yard, but no robins, yet. I'll stay tuned.....

Christine LeFever said...

Yum! It's breakfast time here and you've inspired me. We get our farm fresh from a friends' farm, so that's good.

Your designs, as ever are delectable too!

Christine (AKA ~ Zwee!!)