Thursday, August 07, 2008

I am an ARTIST.

Peter, my DH, came into the studio the other afternoon, while I was working away...he said to me, "is there anything you can't or won't do"?...
i replied, "no."
he said back..."that's an artist for ya!"
who...me?
True, I do love a challenge...new mediums to conquer, new techniques to learn and master.
I paint, sew, sculpt, draw, stitch, hook, punch...I bend wire into jewelry and solder metals into charming little things....and I also teach others to do the same.
I have a voracious appetite for anything new, old, funky or familiar.
contradictory? maybe. normal? definitely not...but perfectly sensible to me!
I devour books & magazines, spend countless hours on the internet, always on the hunt for that perfect little NEW thing to 'do'.
I am sloppy. unorganized. forgetful if i don't write notes to myself. I lie awake in bed some evenings with thoughts of colors, textures and designs in my head, that I have to immediately jot down or they'll be lost in the myriad of other swirling ideas...
Many of my friends, are kindred to the creativity process that I love...we chat, gather, create and genuinely love what we do, and each other...and we seem to also share the same principles & ideals...that we can create our own happiness, by....
CREATING.
an artist?
not sure...i guess you could call me that...I consider myself one of many strong women who can fend for herself, whether it is yeilding a paint brush or a pair of pliers...how cool are we?!!

2 comments:

janeu729 said...

Lori,
I never considered myself an artist until I came under your tutelage. I'm constantly amazed at the pieces I "create" and how I look at things so differently! Your creativity is inspiring.
I look around at my pillows, punchings and rugs and realize I AM and artist, too.
THANKS TO YOU!
Jane

QUAINT AND PLAIN said...

SOME TEACH , OTHERS INSPIRE, LEAD, PROMPT, ENCOURAGE....
YOU MY FRIEND DO ALL THIS AND MORE..

YOU ARE A SHINING LIGHT TO THOSE OF US WHO YEARN TO CREATE NO MATTER WHAT THE MEDIUM~~~
THANK YOU FOR BEING YOU...