~ WELCOME FRIENDS & FOLK ~

Our humble little
Needlework Shop
is located at
3530 Tye River Road
Amherst, VA 24521
ph. 434-263-6508
email ~ Notforgottenfarmwitch@gmail.com

Our Regular SHOP HOURS are:
Saturdays Only 10:00 ~ 4:00

{weather permitting or I am away at a show/class}

*



~ Please visit our ETSY Shop for our unique patterns, supplies and wooden items
specifically designed for rug hooking, punch needle, applique, embroidery and cross stitch ~

the photos below are just a few examples of what we offer in our Etsy shop ~ kindly click on any photo below to visit and see more ~


Saturday, June 4, 2011

Nimble Fingers & Perfection...

This stunning work of art was stitched by

Mary Walker aged 16 ~ from Lancaster, Penna.
...in the year 1797...

(when I was 16, I was just beginning what would be my cross stitching career!)

I love to study old samplers ~
their colors, the motifs...the mistakes.
especially the mistakes!
those are what makes handwork so dear to my heart...
can you imagine a little girl of 6 or seven undertaking the daunting task of completing
such tedious work without making a mistake?
that's what humbles me...


so it is with those thoughts that I stitch without a pattern,
just stitching along to the thoughts in my head and
seeing what appears before my eyes in thread .


if perhaps, what i am stitching at-the-moment will become a pattern for sale,
then I will do my best to put a mistake in there,
somewhere...
just to keep us all grounded.


the Amish needlewomen purposely
add what's known as a
"Humility Patch"
to their quilting...
they are known for their impeccable stitching and because of that
feel the need to humble themselves by adding a block or some stitching that is a little
'off'....because they believe only their Maker to be Perfect.


what a beautiful way to live...
a little wonky is Perfect in my book!

hoping your hands stay busy & your heart stays full.....



Blessings from the Farm...
Lori

11 comments:

Deb said...

That sampler is just incredible. I wish that someone would chart that. And I've always followed the Amish philosphy - I don't stress over my mistakes because only God is perfect! And you're right, a little wonky is okay!!

Karen/My Colonial Home said...

What a great post...love the sampler.
Thanks so much for sharing this.

Karen

Poussy Stitches My Love said...

I love the Sampler !

Marylin de FRANCE

Jennie Lynn @ Appleseed Prim said...

I love that verse!!! Going to have to stitch that, or at least part of it. To stitch the whole thing would be huge :)

TheCrankyCrow said...

I love old samplers - for the same reasons. Funny - my maternal grandmother was Pennsylvania Dutch - and they had the same practice - working something at least one intentional mistake into their work so as not to try to outshine the only perfect One....It always gave me comfort when I found an error (or more!) in my work - I never had to add one intentionally! Smiles & Hugs ~ Robin

HomeSpunPrims said...

Love this post too Lori. That is some kinda sampler! I make mistakes all the time, especially in my samplers and I leave them. I, like the Amish, feel humbled in my work and give all the credit to my Heavenly Father for any talent he has given me.

Ann's Embroidery and Quilting - Journey said...

What a beautiful post and sampler. I for one would buy this pattern...

Catherine said...

Such a pretty piece - and from my neck of the woods too!!!

Heather said...

This work is just stunning! I too am so humbled and amazed with what these young women were able to do! I've tried to cross stitch but although I adore the look, I seem to have zero patience and the wrong sort of attention to detail. I guess I'll just paint them--- there's an idea!~

*Kountry*Porch*Primitives* said...

Wonderful, I really love the verse....makes me want to work it into a sampler of my own some how. I too love the humble philosophy of the amish, makes you realize that we all can stress over what really doesn't matter. Have a great Sunday ~Kriss~

Katherin Laffely said...

Hello,
je ne parle que le français, désolée.
j'adore ce sampler et j'irais le broder… où puis-je acheter la grille ?
merci, KLB