Thursday, June 22, 2017

~ Oh! -THREAD!! ...and a reproduction perhaps? ~


~ Hello Friends & Folk ~

Oh I have had a busy couple of days...
and without going into much detail, let's just say I am
HOME SWEET HOME
peaceful    quiet    serene   home.

I had ordered a bunch of thread from The Gentle Art ~
 to replenish our little Needlework Shop here at the Farm....
so happy to have it greet me upon my return home!

some are Samplar Threads, some are Shaker Threads...

look at those colors ~
all of them deep, rich and loverly.

to me, this grouping below 
~ looks like a breezy meadow 
filled with swaying fronds of grasses and wildflowers ~


while this grouping below 
reminds me of Autumn nights spent near a bonfire 
and glowing pumpkins and jack o' lanterns  peering from hazy windowpanes ~


 what does this grouping below bring to your creative minds?
I see old typewriters, high-button shoes...
crisp lawn-dresses and old love letters scribed in sepia-toned India inks ~


it's funny how our minds work....

 All of the above threads are my favorite colors from The Gentle Art ~
I will be using them for upcoming cross stitch designs and can't wait to show them to you.

✶ ✶ ✶ ✶ ✶ ✶ ✶ ✶ ✶ ✶ ✶ ✶ ✶ ✶ ✶ ✶ ✶ ✶ ✶ ✶

In other news....
I have had this sampler in my collection for a while.
{ok, like over 10 yrs.}
and I know that I've showed it to you all before.
BUT.
I look at it everyday.
I pass by it at least 13 times a day, maybe more...and everytime I do, it calls to me:
"make me whole...make me complete...finish me"

 so I am toying with the idea of reproducing it for everyone
...as a freebie.



 I initially purchased it because I love the blue & brown threads....
and the olde olde linen.
very nubby and full of slubs ~ 
...and of course the woven wicker tray it is housed in.

 see that date worked in black threads? 
they say...that if a sampler is unfinished by the initial maker, 
and the maker dies before completion...
that another stitcher in the family would have stitched the date of the original maker's death 
but in black threads.

Hmmm.


Our stitcher's name was Eliza Chase.
She practiced her alphabets, letters and initials in thread here 
~ for eternity to see ~

oh so many little mistakes made... 
such insignificant markings only slightly off-course on a linen sea.
but there nonetheless.
and I will keep them in the chart that I will replicate to keep it true to the original ~

love the wonky stitches.


I will choose my threads as carefully as Eliza did, 
even though these colors may not represent those initially chosen by her,
for much-time and many years have faded them into the muted tones 
that we see and love so much here ~


﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏

~ AND ~
Stay Tuned...
I will be releasing a new cross stitch, punch needle and rug hooking design this weekend ~
... all three are based off the same design, called:
"Tomato Season"
{and NEW Tomato Thread Winder coming, to match!}
 
Blessings from the Farm 
~ Lori

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Holy Moly! So good to hear from you...and your writing is clearly breathless with excitement! Beautiful threads, all...and the sampler is so so sweet. Interesting about the black threads...always something new to learn. Glad you're back!

Blyn said...

I love the gentle arts threads above! Would love to know what they are😉 I also love that sampler. So beautiful in its wonky way.

Lllr55 said...

Those thread colors are wonderful!
So happy to hear your mom is doing better. Home is always best. It's so hard for our mom's and grandmother's to leave their homes. Glad your mom will have help so she can stay home.
Enjoy your workroom and your lovely Home! And Peter and the fur babies too!!❤

Cheryl R said...

glad to hear from you. .I was worried about you.
Lovin the sampler and yummy thread colors.

marly said...

I sincerely hope your mom will do well Lori and I think she will. We are always more comfortable with familiarity and routine. She may change her mind, knowing you are there for her if need be.

I love your interpretation of the colors.

Kathy B said...

Can't wait to see the new designs.

C Reeder PhxAz said...

Love these colors - all of them!! Can you share the names please oh pretty please. I Am guessing from some entries your mom was not well. Will keep her in my thoughts and prayers.

Prims and Needles said...

Those colors are so gorgeous! You have such an eye for color. Oh to wonder around that imagination of yours just for a little while. Such a talented lady!
Coline

Rugs and Pugs said...

Love that sampler. That chart may just be the impetus I need to pick up a needle (and temporarily put down my hook) :)
Hugs :)
Lauren

elaine allerton said...

So nice to see ur posts again, lori!!
That sampler is just lovely!!
Looking forward to seeing ur new designs,,,,
Glad ur home ,, safe,,,

Annmarie said...

The thread groupings are so enticing and make me want to grab one of each. I very much would look forward to stitching a reproduction of your sampler-that would be so special. I saw your note about your mom and have been there - just knowing you are there for her, if things change, is so comforting to your mom and I bet she will make the move if things change for her.

Lady Locust said...

I did not know that about the black date on an unfinished item~ Tidbits of knowledge like that are golden. Thank you. And, ooooh, aaaaah, what pretty threads you have:) Those are just luscious!

Patti said...

Oh so loverly! Threads and antique samplers make my heart sing. You know that I will need that tomato thread keeper ~ it's been a few months since I have added to my collection and I am having withdrawals! Lol!
Blessings, Patti

woollabeast said...

Oh there you are sweet lady, only recently heard the news of your mom's needs & you were off. There was a reason this year's plans for other teaching were not in the cards...so many of your closest & dearest...needing you Lori. Most of us (including me) have been there & it truly is comforting for those who are struggling to know they can count on someone they love ~♥~ Wishing your mom comfort & love, she's blessed to have you!

The way your mind's eye sees the visual scenery of your life in the color of these threads... is so descriptive & just draws us all in! These are truly "loverly" indeed & so is this sweet antique sampler! Can't wait to see your TOMATO collection...off I go!

Hugs from your woolly friend up Nawth! ~~Diane

Krista said...

Lots of great news! The thread colors are all so rich. Love the sampler with the hearts and can't wait to hear more about tomatoes!