Monday, June 26, 2017

~ My Background... ~

 Hello There
Friends & Folk!

I received some questions yesterday,
about the background of my new little
'Tomato Season Mat'


as you can see,
I have not filled it in at all :)
I chose to let the motifs stand alone against the weavers cloth...
~ but of course
you can choose to fill your background in if you'd like too!


I did stain my weavers cloth before I punched though, knowing I wanted it to look mottled...
I traced the pattern onto my plain weavers with a pencil, 
then stained the opposite side of the weavers cloth, 
~ knowing that would actually be the front of my project.

I also decided not to punch those tiny cherry tomatoes, 
instead I simply made large french knots with my Valdani #8 pearl cotton.
If these were punched instead, they would look like tiny blobs.
If you are going to fill in your background, you can either punch them or use the french-knot technique after you've punched the background ~
 

I like punching this way,
leaving the cloth show more...letting the motifs take center stage and not filling in the backround.
Remember, there are never any hard & fast rules to how you finish your needlework...

Experiment!   Create!   Have Fun!

I am going to try more techniques with his soon 
and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at the results! 



 Happy Monday to you all....
find some magic in your day my sweet friends ~

🌻

Blessings from the Farm 
~ Lori

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's marvelous, Lori! I especially like that big tomato and all of the shading within, giving it more texture and depth. And that little dickens of a crow there, lol! Tell us about the trim...really cute!

HomeSpunPrims said...

I do like the look of it, Lori! Everything shows up so nice. Great idea! Lori

NMK said...

Love this pattern & how you leave the back ground just the weavers cloth .... the pretty trim around the edge is cute too ! The little person is so neat & Love the variation in the tomato !!! More very clever designs !!!!

denise said...

It's beautiful!

Cheryl R said...

I like this idea and your big tomato is what I'm hoping for from our garden.

elaine allerton said...

This is so sweet,,,, love it,,, punch or hook!!
You get things done , lori!! Thanks for sharing,,,,

susiedele said...

I love everything about it and what is that wonderful trim around the border?

Prims on Greenway said...

Lori...Just stunning!!! thak you so much for the free pattern....I am always so thankful for the generosity of the designers in this industry!!! You're the BEST! Lisa K