Friday, February 24, 2017

~ A Fine Line ~

 There is a famous quote among artists...

'Everything starts from a dot'
with the quote credited to Wassily Kandinsky, 
a Russian artist who lived from 1866 to 1944.

••••••••••••••••••••••••••

I hear this quote in my head every time I put pen to paper, 
thread to cloth or wool to linen.

most of the time, my thoughts are jotted down rapidly...
then translated into fine line drawing first, 
... and are finally applied to their textile medium, or watercolor paint.

I have long been a 'doodler' 
and enjoy keeping my sketchbooks filled with inspirational words 
and small quick rough drafts in pencil and ink.

you never know what will turn out from these impromptu pages,
but I've been mulling an idea in my mind for some time now
~ and I think it's time I put them together...

it's a punch needle pattern book called
The Garden of Weedin'
{yes, it is a word-play on the Garden of Eden scheme of things, 
and again, yes, intended primarily for punch needle ;) }

Like my other desktop-published books {printed/bound by me, right here at NFF}
 this one will be spiral bound so you can more easily trace your designs onto your weavers cloth
... and all pages are one-sided as well, so there isn't any confusing 'bleed-through' 
of another design coming through while you trace.

So
here is my draft cover;

Wassily Kandinsky
Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/w/wassilykan380803.html Wassily Kandinsky

and 
here are small glimpses into the not-quite-ready pages ~
howdy
hello






 and the back cover too...
with a small excerpt of my idea for the book.



I am in the process of punching some of the designs from this book, 
so that you can better see the finished, intended & shall I say: UNIQUE use for it's patterns ~
as always, the threads I'm using will be Valdani & DMC {all 6 strands} in my favorite colors.
BUT
There are no color-placement instructions included in this book, 
as I want YOU to find your own colors to use for your own personal Garden of Weedin'...



There are 13 actual 'pattern' pages, 
with some pages having multiple patterns on them.
just lots of folky designs & 'primsical' motifs 
{my made-up word for primitive + whimsical}

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised...
at least I hope so!

Have a beautiful & creative day my sweet friends!

Blessings from the Farm
 ~ Lori

9 comments:

Annelein said...

Woow... you have been productive... Love the pictures and glimp of pictures you are showing...

Maybe I have to start punchneedle too. Have already a punchneedle. Bought some years ago...

Anonymous said...

Lori, you are ever clever!!! Love it! Have fun this weekend! Pics, please?

Vicki Jo said...

Oh, no! I was clicking on the wrong thing! I CAN post a comment -- which is: I love this new book you are doing! I will certainly be purchasing a copy. I am picking up my punch needle again this weekend. In January my Mother passed away and other things happened and I "shut down" emotionally -- and one way I did that was by playing mindless games on my phone. Talk about a soul draining activity. I've had my fill of that now, and the 60 degree New England weather has revived my spirit. I specifically thought of the punch needle patterns I purchased at your workshop last summer -- shelling peas and hanging out laundry -- scenes from my farm childhood. I am going to set one of those patterns in my hoop and then when I feel the need to "shut down" I will reach for that instead of my phone. I look forward to the comfort of punching and to the beauty I will create. Thank you for teaching me how, sweet Lori.

NMK said...

Oh ... Looks wonderful !!!!!

TheCrankyCrow said...

That looks like it could be oodles of fun...and I spy pumpkins lol! But oooo...me and color planning are not really on speaking terms. ;o) Can't wait to see your samples though. Hope your weekend is off to a good start... Smiles & Friday Hugs ~ Robin

Saundra said...

OMG, me thinks this is going in my shopping cart!!!!!

elaine allerton said...

Lori,,,, thi looks soooo wonderful!!
You have great ideas,,, and get them done,,,,
I am doing some hooking and punching your bunny pattern for a gift,,,, looking forward to gettjng my punch needle club pattern in the mail soon, take care,,, will be looking for this sweet pattern book in you site! Have a good weekend,,,

denise said...

i have got to learn to punch! love the book!

woollabeast said...

Hellooooo Ms. Lori (busy-beeeee in her bonnet)friend bzzzzzzzz~~ !! Ohhh, this is going to be a hit seller for you, cannot wait for you to have this ready on your site! Can you beeeelieve we're having this 70s weather up here in New England?! My squirrel friends were out in herds today (over hill & dale) & the peanuts were flying!! :D

Have a great Sunday! xo ~Diane ~♥~
(your woolly friend up Nawth)