Monday, December 30, 2013

Floored ~

On to day #2 of our Bath Redux ~

underneath the layers of linoleum, 
vinyl tile, 
tar paper, 
1 coat of brown paint 
one coat of grey paint
...we found this:

WOOD!

surprise!!!!


we knew we would, 
just didn't know what kind of um...wood ~
we would find.

hello!

Peter had a suspicion of plywood,
but I held my breath and hoped really hard...

drat that tar paper!


happy to report that the wood is fir!
funny, 
because the rest of the entire farmhouse is oak & walnut....

but, since the house is ca. 1900 
Peter also thinks that this was initially the only main closet for the entire home
before it was made into a bathroom...


my sweet hubby (and a couple of orbs floating around his head)

 so here is what the bathroom looks like after we took all of the 'wall' junk down
but before the floor was ripped up...
you can see how dark the paint makes this room ~


a fresh start


goodbye red
goodbye mustard
goodbye tiny little painted trees and houses....


original ca. 1940's bathtub


goodbye 10 year old mismatched paint colors and
unpainted drawers...

...goodbye.

****EDITED****
the photo below is NOT of my Dear Hubby *tinkling* in the toidy ...
he is actually taking a cabinet down from the wall behind the loo!!!!
MANY thanks for pointing that out friends!!!! (HAHAHAHAHHA)

even with all the lights on and no window treatments...it's still dark in there!

 Hello to white
hello to clean & bright
hello to new!!!


hello!
(yes, that's me in the mirror ~ sans makeup, un-done hair and wearing an old scrub top)
remodeling is only glamorous on TV!!!!


more to come, stay tuned :)

* Blessed be * 
Lori

22 comments:

The Eveningstitcher said...

Your bathroom will be so nice Lori! Much to our horror, years ago...the flooring under the ugly orange 1950's carpet, was plywood! We paid a fortune to have hard wood installed in living room and dining room...but it was worth it! I couldn't imagine a house built in the 50's NOT having hardwood! But the lady who had the home built was a carpet-freak! Your flooring will be beautiful! You're a lucky gal to have Pete...such a handy guy!

Susan McShannon-Monteith said...

Love that medicine cupboard.
You're making great progress and its wonderful there's wood under all that other stuff.
Keep calm and carry on!
Happy New Year too.
Susan x

Lady Locust said...

Oh what fun! And I sooo agree about the glamour being only on TV:) Can hardly wait to see it all finished. Bet that floor will be a beauty.

HomeSpunPrims said...

A lot of work but you are on your way to fulfilling your vision for your farmhouse! I agree, you are lucky to have Peter be able to do all that work. Can't wait to see your fresh new bathroom! Hugs, Lori

Robin at The Primitive Hutch said...

A lot of work to do ~ but I know it's going to look fabulous when you put your special touches to it!!!
Looking forward to seeing it finished!
Enjoy!
Prim Blessings
Robin

Heidi Steiner said...

This is so much fun Lori. Thanks for sharing and inspiring me to get busy in my home.
Happy painting-
Heidi

Lori Ann Corelis said...

How fun to watch your progress!
I know it's going to be beautiful!
L

Debra said...

Looking forward to the re-do, but seeing scrubs inspires me to ask if you are a nurse. If so, we have one more thing in common!

Cathy G. said...

Oh Lori,
What a great find under all those layers! I can feel your excitement for the fresh lighter but still vintage look! Better watch out or you and Peter will be hosting your own show on HGTV! Sending lots of good vibes and energy to you both!!
Watching with great interest from -30 below zero today herein WI!!
Hugs!!
Cathy G

NMK said...

Yikes, so much work ! Good luck , it will look great when your done !

Lori from Notforgotten Farm said...

Debra ~
no not a nurse, but a Dental Assistant in another life ;)
Lori

Annie Beez said...

Lori I also live in an old house, 100+ years. All of my primitive colors are coming down this year as well. I am going white baby!!As much as I love barn red, the dark rooms, especially in winter are depressing me. I actually started this process last year and have 2 rooms to go. I am watching your progress with interest!

kathyinozarks said...

that's awesome-real wood underneath all that

Dogwood Farm said...

Wow, how exciting to see wood under all that flooring.
Peter is such a neat well organized worker!!! Love that in a man!!!
Can't wait to see your new colors!

Nancy Bauer said...

LOL Lori! I love the pic of Peter :) It gave me quite the chuckle. So glad you found WOOD under dem layers and not plywood! I'm looking forward to seeing the progress :)

Rugs and Pugs said...

I actually like the dark, but I'm sure your change will be wonderful. My house was built in 1940 and beneath layers of linoleum in the bathroom there was hardwood. It's in the kitchen, too, but the linoleum is still there...sigh...one of these days.
Happy New Year.
Hugs :)
Lauren

P.J. said...

Love reno pics! Can't wait to see the transformation. Hubby over the john is hilarious!

Anonymous said...

utterly THRILLING! i can NOT wait to see what you do with this space..... OHHH... that wood floor ~ be still my heart!

rebecca

p.s. lori, i can't begin to tell you how much your recent comment on my blog has meant to me.... thank you, my friend, for lifting me up and dusting me off.... thank you for making me feel so very special.... <3

Robin said...

It is going to be fun to watch your progress. How lucky for you to have such a willing partner! I am sure your re-make will inspire us all.

LaNelle said...

Wow! How lucky to have a wonderful wood floor underneath all that.....it will be beautiful along with the new colors you have chosen.

Merilde said...

Hi! Love your ideas for your bathroom. Lucky you to find hardwood. We found plywood when we tore up our linoleum. Can't wait to see the finished product!
Merry New Year!
Lori

Unknown said...

It's a lot of work, but it will be well worth it. Can't wait to see the finish! Out of curiosity, I see at least 3 or 4 orbs in the photo. Do you know if your house has an ghosts?