Monday, February 18, 2013

Sheepish Inspiration ~

 
I'm wanting to design a rug with a sheep as the central motif...
just one simple little sheep.
 
so, for inspiration, I went to Pinterest.com and found all kinds of old, early sheep ~
 
these are old headstones, usually found on a childs' grave...
 
nice form, simple silhouette.



love the facial expression on this one ~



I like the leg and tail placement of this little stone lamb...



...and the ears on this one look like
he's listening to something.



and the profile on this little lamb , even though his nose is missing a bit.



the texture of this lamb's coat looks stippled, almost...

but it's this wee-one below that has stolen my heart ~
a bit wonky, with legs-akimbo...even the pointy nose and large rump appeal to me.
 



me thinks this is thee one.
and then there are these, already in wool for color inspiration,
possible borders & backgrounds....
 
 
love the little blades of 'grass' and the sheep's 'shirt' hanging under it's belly...nice, old scroll-y border too.


another adaptation of the Frost sheep rug, this one done with a black background...



brighter colors on this one...
 
 
and here's one beautiful rug below...
muted tones & hues are stunning in their simplicity ~
 
 
 
perfection.
 
so, I will grab my sketchbook & pencil...
cut a large slice of linen, stretch it nicely onto my frame
and put sharpie to cloth and render my own new design from wonderful old works of heart.
 
I'll post my progress as I choose wool colors and concepts...
hoping you tag along for the outcome!
Lori from
Notforgotten Farm

7 comments:

WoolenSails said...

I love that last stone, have never seen one like that and never saw the last rug before, great prim ideas. I can't wait to see what you come up with.

Debbie

Robin Leuschen said...

Ahhhh...you have the eye for sure !! The last one, in it's total primitive state, is perfect !! Can't wait to see your color choices and , you always add your special touches.. :)
I know you will enjoy this journey, as we all will also !!
Robin

Gayle said...

So interesting to see the process you use for a new rug - I look forward to seeing it develop!

Unknown said...

yes, I think it is interesting what you look for to inspire you...and, I can't wait to see the finished piece, I know it will be awesome.

Trace4J said...

Oh how cool.
I so love your inspirations.
Beautiful sheep.
I so look forward to seeing your progress.
Exciting.
Woolie Hugs
Trace

Saundra said...

Oh boy, can't wait to see your new design and the work in progress. Thanks for sharing.

Saundra

Mouse Droppings Folk Art said...

Those are three of my all time favorite antique hooked rugs you have pictured in this post...they are just stunning...looking forward to seeing your new design! Cheers, Susan