Friday, May 18, 2012

Simple Things from the antiques Show today ~

Hi Folks!
thought I'd share with you all what I found today...
it was the Fishersville, VA Antiques Expo and Flea & I went together...

while we were there, we saw many friends and one in particular,
...Mr. James Cramer (Season's at Seven Gates Farm) ~
I haven't seen Jimmy in at least a hundred years ~ last time I spoke with him was at the Wilton, CT show where he and Dean sold their beautiful wares...Good to see you Jimmy! xoxox

I found a whole collection of THIMBLES!
(on our way home we stopped at a barn sale hehehe!!)

12 OF THEM TO BE EXACT...what's that? you only counted 11???
Oh, that's because Miss FLEA scoffed one of the sterling silver ones with tiny birds & vines...
(actually, I gifted her with it xoxoxox)




can you see thee tiny little thimble...
there, second to your left, next to the bakelite thimble??
it is embossed with the words
"For a Good Girl" and doesn't even cover the tip of my pinky!
too eeeepin' cute!





This pincushion, below...is mid to late 19th C. and is beaded/needlepoint/wool
stuffed with excelsior...gorgeous piece of work!!!
(HAD to come home with me)




...backed with velvet that's so worn,...it's shiny :)
LOVE L O V E LOVE



and the best for last...
THIS SAMPLER ~




*ack*...sorry about those squiggles...
it is SO worn...done in what-looks-to-be wool onto homespun linen...
red, pink, browns & gold...with some white lettering as well

sweet motifs of
2 red hearts, a 'tree' and perhaps a bird(??) in the bottom right corner...
THE MAKER'S NAME IS
Maria Hadley and the date is 1826
~ I saw this sampler sitting on the ground in the direct sun and thought I'd tell the dealer to move it into the shade a bit to try to save it from fading even more...I picked it up and saw a price of 135.00
which I thought was a great price for such a humble bit of naive handwork...so the dealer said to me,
'oh, that's not the original frame' and I took another look at the price sticker and it actually said
$35.00 ~ not $135.00 (so I thought it was a print) nope...it's real.
uh huh....it now proudly resides in my humble farmhouse and I can't stop looking at it, trying to uncover more clues as to what it says and perhaps who Maria was & where she'd lived...




AND
I am a candle freak. the second thing I do upong waking up in the morning,
is to light my candles ~ I love them. they can make the house semll so cozy & inviting,
comfy & clean...(sometimes they even trick Peter into thinking I've been baking! HA!)

so, when I came into Cecilia's booth
(www.picturetrail.com/henhouseprimitives)

I had to purchase two of these amazing Aqua Ball jar candles from her...
the labels are so prim & farmhouse-y...but their scents are heavenly...
this one is "Primitive Blessings" and the other I bought is called "1899 Early Buttery"

BOTH are delicious!!!



I will be in the shop tomorrow, and if you're in the neighborhood, please do stop by for a visit ~
I know there are some of you that will be attending the show in Fishersville tomorrow and will be stopping in ~ can wait to see you!!!

For those that want to come by to hook ~ come on!!!
I'll be hooking (or punching) so bring your projects and visit with me for a while :)


Blessings from the Farm!
Lori

5 comments:

By Thy Hands Tinkerings said...

Ok, i will be the first to comment...Love everything Lori....

Tam

Rugs and Pugs said...

I love finding new old treasures ~ especially when they are a bargain. Great find on the sampler!
Hugs :)
Lauren

Anonymous said...

Drrrrrooooooooooooooooooooooooolll!

How I love a good bargain! The Sampler is an amazing find! Score!!

Enjoy all of your finds :)

Jacquie

Jennifer Stumpf said...

Wow, what a pile of glorious loot! Love it all. What an incredible find on the sampler. Beautiful! You are one lucky gal!

Lana Manis said...

Wow, Lori! You came home with some treasures! I joust bought a collection of thimbles this past week hoping to use them in some of my designs later. LOVE that pincushion, too!