Tuesday, July 27, 2010

...just a "whittle" something...

here is my first-ever,
hand whittled project....
"Zeke"

does he look frightened to you?
he should...
you would too
if you saw me coming at you with a sharp knife!
he's only about 2" across and with his stem is only a scant 3" high.
I have been wanting to try my hand at carving
for a loooong time....
and especially after seeing Tony Costanza's & Vaughn Rawson's
AWESOME
carvings at last year's
Ghoultide Gatherings show...
So I purchased a carving knife, a set of gouges and chisels,
some basswood and a book...
and this is my result!

I will try my hand at a witch (what else?) next, so stay tuned!!
do any of you out there in blog-land whittle?
I 'wood' love to see your pics!

Thunderstorms today...we need the rain, but it's still hot!
Blessings from the Farm,
Lori

14 comments:

~Judy~ said...

I wood have never known this was your first one. He looks perfect to me.

Lori from Notforgotten Farm said...

thanks Judy!!!
~L

HomeSpunPrims said...

Lori, you are amazing! Everything you try your hand at you are good at! Love your first carving. I tried years ago but just couldn't get the hang of it. Perhaps I didn't try long enough but I think I am most happy working with fiber.

Kim said...

He is so cute. I love the way his eyes are looking very nervously to the side. Great job, as always.
Kim

Lori from Notforgotten Farm said...

Hi Lori~
Thanks! I love working with fiber too, but sometimes need a 'hard' craft for my hands & mind to do...

I don't think my 'Zeke' is the greatest, but I'm proud of him being my first!!!

~L

Lori from Notforgotten Farm said...

Hi Kim!
Thanks! yepper...he's nervous alrighty!!! looks kinda paranoid, huh? LOL

~L

Patti said...

Wow! I'm impressed! I just love him - he's perfectly frightful!!! Keep up the great work! Hope to see some of your carvings on Etsy or Ebay :)

My great uncle was a carver and I inherited some of his pieces, but I have never tried my hand. I love that stitching can be ripped, but am not sure what would happen to a mistake while carving.

I love Tony Costanza's work and have been collecting since he was a high school teacher doing it on the side...

Keep up the great work ~ You are such a multi-talented artist!!

Blessings, Patti

Robin said...

He is very cute, nice job! If you need extra carving stuff..come get Lee's..he never uses it!! One bird and he was done. Have a good afternoon...millstonemecantile

janeu729 said...

You should be proud of him!! He's unique, scary and cute at the same time!

connie said...

That is so cool..I love it..Well done!!I remember my grandpa whittling when I was young..

Primitives By The Light of The Moon said...

You sure look like you have been whittling for a long time. Your first piece looks awesome.

Unknown said...

Zeke is adorable, Lori...and you are simply amazing! Is there anything you can't master?? I anna be like you when I grow up!! LOL!

Congrats on the booth win!!

Primwitch69 said...

Hi Lori! I LOVE him!!!!!! He is quite wonderful!!!!! You ARE great at everything you do!!!!!! Many hugs, Candy

Farm Field Primitives said...

Too cute....you are so talented!!
~Melissa~