Wednesday, March 11, 2009

How do you like your Eggs? ~

I like MINE fresh from the chicken!!


... scrambled, over easy, in an omellete, quiche,

...fried egg sandwich, pickled, deviled...

you name it, I love my eggs!!!


I know I've given this recipe before, but it is one of my favorite's...
I make these every spring ~

~Red Beet Eggs~

8 hard boiled eggs, shelled

2 cans of red beets + their liquid

1 tbls. pickling spice

1/4 c. sugar

2 cups vinegar
(I like to use apple cider vinegar for better flavor)


In a large glass jar with tight fitting lid, place all ingredients except eggs...
stir and then place in shelled eggs.
refridgerate over night for better flavor, can be kept for 2-3 weeks in fridge,...
(I usually keep adding new eggs once the original eggs are eaten)


these are great as a side dish or in salad!




We sometimes have to go on an egg hunt here at the farm...
our chickens are free-range, so they lay where they please.


...the ones below are in the dog's house!



the eggs that you see below in the heart shaped bowl
were colored last year...


I used onion skins for the dye



here's how to make them:

boil 6 large white eggs in salt water (1/2 c. in 4 c. water)
*you will not be eating these!!!*

drain cooked eggs and let cool completely...

in a saucepan, add about 2 handfuls of yellow onion skins (not red onion skins!)
and add 4 cups water...bring to a boil, then simmer...



you'll need some old knee high's or old stockings for the next part...
to make stencils for the eggs, cut our your design from parchment paper...
wet your stencil and place on cooled egg...now wrap your egg, covering stencil, with a piece of stocking (approx. 5" x 5" square...) and tie off with a twist tie...continue to do this for each egg.

now place eggs into dye bath and simmer for at least an hour,
or longer until your desired shade of dye is achieved...once dyed, let entire pot of liquid and eggs cool completely...now you're ready to snip off your stocking and peel away your paper stencil.
dry each egg with a paper towel, then coat each egg with a light rub of vegetable oil...this will help 'seal' the eggshell, and make them shine a little...

place eggs in a bowl or straw-filled basket to display...



Eggs like this were made by the PA Germans (and still are!) and some have survived over 50 years with careful handling...



make sure you don't break one of these old eggs...you'll have to evacuate your house if you do!
PHEEEWWWW!!!!!!!!

Eggs have long been a symbol of fertility and rebirth,
so what better motif to be used for spring ?...
take a look at the members' offerings up on my group,
blestb
(link on my sidebar)
you'll see so many eggs done up in different ways~
Hooked, Stitched, Stuffed...Wool, Thread, etc...

wonderful stuff!

~~~~~~~~
I'm working on a bunch of different things today...got my hook out and am actually hooking a little 'something' to list tonight on ebay...
I'm also punching and stitching, and working on that little needle weaving booklet that I hope to release real soon...

~ AND ~
I have a BIG suprise coming soon...I'll be telling you all about it in the next couple of posts,
I have some kinks to work out and preparations to make, but I'll give you a hint...

How would you feel about visiting with me here in the Fall?
STAY TUNED !!!!!

have a wonderfully creative day, friends,
why not bake a treat for your family, don't forget to add your love...
it makes it that much sweeter for them...

~Lori~




4 comments:

basketsnprims said...

Good morning, Lori!
I was thinking about you this morning. I have to get to your picture trail and order a couple of things. I love fresh eggs ~ no comparison to those things in the grocery store that they call eggs. We always buy brown, local farmers when we can get them. Can't wait to see what the surprise is! I would love to visit you on the farm.
Pam

Sherry said...

I love surprises so will be watching and waiting to find out! now I feel like fixing some eggs for breakfast!

Cindy said...

LOL...funny you posted this today! I've got a basket of banty eggs on my table waiting for a dye pot! Our chickens are free range so it's same here...like an egg hunt everyday! Love the stenciled ones...I don't know that I'll try that, I'll be doing good to get them dyed! lol
I'll have to try the beet eggs...John loves beets!
Never an idle moment is there!! On my way to ck out the blestb page! Have a GREAT day!

A Bit of Colour said...

I love your woodcut egg picture. The eggs with the stencils are very cool. I think it would require a tedious hand. They are simply beautiful