Wednesday, December 03, 2008

A Sneak Peak !

The picture above shows the little doll quilt
that I've sewn on my new (antique) Pfaff Treadle sewing machine !!!

...now, I'm not a quilter by any means...
the Amish say that they purposely make a mistake in their quilts
because only the Lord is perfect...
well, I've definitely got Amish blood
(or at least PA German, for sure!)
in my veins...
and i don't purposely make mistakes...
they create themselves when i quilt!
I like the wonky look my little quilts have when they're all finished up...
the pieces don't line up right,
and I sure can't hand-stitch like a professional quilter,
but, the look I'm after is one of a small child's hands...I think I achieve that well-enough...
this one measures a scant 8 1/4" x 8 1/4".
(I'm debating with myself whether I want to list this on ebay,
or pin it to my Keeping Room wall...
so far, the debate is leaning towards the Keeping Room wall.)
The picture also shows you a preview of one of the projects in my newest book,
"Pocketful of Primitive"
which I am almost ready to release...
The pocket shown is called "Elda's Flowers", named for my sweet Mother ~
The book should be ready in a day or so,
and I'll post here when it will be available and up on ebay too...
I have another little quilt in mind, this one done in blues & browns...
perhaps a little bit larger than the one shown here...I have some early men's shirting in cream with little blue stripes & polka dots, some seriously thin & old homespun in thee best grey-blue/cream, and a bunch of others that are repro 1800's...
Well I'm off to peruse Maggie Bonanomi's book (again) "With These Hand's"
...I love it DEARLY
and now want to change my little Farmhouse to all browns/creams/blues...

*sigh*

Blessed be, my Friends~
Lori

5 comments:

Sherry said...

Lori,

I love your quilt! There is another saying that your quilt is not completely finished unless there is some blood on the back! LOL! Most of my quilting ventures do have little spot of blood on them! Can't wait to see your next quilting project! I love small quilts and wall quilts!

Cindy said...

Nice! When I was reading the Elm Creek Quilt series of books, I started making small quilts and they always sold really well!
Looking forward to that new book!

primitivebettys said...

Beautiful Lori! You are making me want to try quilting now too. I have an old treadle, but haven't ever tried it to see if it works. Humm.... maybe I should!

:) Betty

janeu729 said...

Love your new projects and I'm looking forward to the book. My handiwork for today was making 10 evergreen swags for my outdoor decorations. I loved using all the natural things that grow on our property. I never had that experience in the city!

Lena said...

Hi Lori,

I've been dropping by to visit your site for a little while now. I love all your lovely work and the wonderful photographs of old fashioned things that you share here. I once bougth a small little Christmas booklet of yours, that I still have and enjoy.

I recently purchased Maggie B's book and I look at it at least once a day, I think. All her projects, and her home are lovely too.

Lena