Thursday, April 17, 2014

Rise & Shine

wake up !
it's a beautiful day ~ 
...time to hit the ground running…lots to do!


cockadoodle-do!

 while fetching eggs this sunny but cold morning,
we found her…


h e l l o

 ...setting on a small clutch of eggs ~


turn off that light!

 in one of the 'apartments' in the coop…


occupied 

 so now we're expecting chicks in 21 days ~ 
...near or around May 8th 


cluck cluck


 our boys are not interested in this news at all ~
they just like to hang out together now even more so since Buddy became ill…
he is feeling pretty good now and I will remove his stitches today ~


sweet faithful friends

 it was only in the 30's this morn ~
ice had formed in the water buckets in the barn & coops…
 ~ the farmhouse was chilly,
so Peter lit a fire in the old wood stove (again)


thought we might be done with it as we were in the 80's here last sunday!

... but I guess Mother Nature has other plans for us ~
I WILL NOT do any spring-cleaning 
until the stove has been totally cleaned out and out-of-service for the year….
so please forgive the dust & such.

i need to wash those floors….ick!

I will be taking Charlie shopping today ~
he loves to shop…at every discount & bargain store in the area.
He might be 83 yrs old, but when he is pushing a shopping cart ~
WATCH OUT!

have a beautiful day my friends ~ share it with those that love you most ~

* Blessed be *
 Lori

9 comments:

Debra said...

Cold here as well, Lori. I am worried about my seedlings in the greenhouse. I hope that Spring will come and decide to stay!

Mary said...

Lori, silly question...How does the hen know if she is sitting on a chick or the makings of an omelet??? And how do you know?

Jane said...

I went to Anderson's Market yesterday and REALLY had to resist buying plants. Maybe this will be the last gasp of cold weather!! Love the pictures- especially of sweet Buddy and Lazy.

Lori from Notforgotten Farm said...

Dear Mary ~
we have roosters, so the eggs that the hen is sitting on is fertile. Once a hen & rooster…um…'meet', the hen will continue to lay fertile eggs. We do eat our fertile eggs, but only freshly laid ones, therefore no little chicks end up in our frying pan :)
~ L

Mary said...

Lori, I should hope no chicks were harmed in making this omelet....so the hen knows....and since she is not getting up you know. Marvelous system. Happy Easter, I actually was given chicks a long time ago , first house had a barn, my brother thought I should have chickens,,,,they 12 turned out to be roosters...Gave away. I missed them I love they way they follow you around......

Anonymous said...

Sounds wonderful, ahh the morning of a life on the farm. Sun is shining here too, warmth and sun promised for
Easter makes me smile. Happy Shopping!

Jeanne said...

Oh Lori, I know how you feel about the dust from the stove. We have a pellet stove and the amount of dust it creates is terrible. Stupidly, I started my spring cleaning weeks ago and now I'll have to start all over again because our stove was back on again this week. Have a Happy Easter!

barb said...

I was just thinking how pretty and shiny your wood floors look. I wondered how you keep everything so nice as busy as you are. Happy Easter.

Nancy Bauer said...

Oh my, Bon bons for Mothers Day! Hoping that is the last fire you need but the forecast is so-so. Happy Easter my friend:)