Sunday, May 09, 2010

A Mother's Hands....

You said:
"See how pretty your hands are next to mine?"
I didn't tell you, but even then I knew your hands owned the greater strength...
Strong enough to work the Earth until it yielded up food for our bodies and flowers for our souls.
Gentle enough to cool a fevered child.
Quiet enough to hold an unhappy young woman, never claiming to solve,
only to understand....
Nimble enough to out-quilt me three blocks to one.
~ They slowed me when I would have gone too fast,
and nudged me when I would not start at all...
and when I remember all the times the touch of your hands have made me feel loved,
I want to say,
"See Mother? How beautiful your hands are holding mine...."

~poem by Ruth Siburt


Throughout out lives,
as we count our successes and pat ourselves on the back~
How seldom do we remember who it was that began it all.
I was very fortunate in the decision of the Universe
that I be given to the woman I now know as my Mother...
for it was she who taught me how to care,
... how to love
and how to be free.

I Love You Mom...

and Happy Mother's Day to all of my family & friends!!!!

Blessings from the Farm,
 Lori

13 comments:

Robin said...

Happy Mother's Day...and thank you for last night, we had sooo much fun. You are such a wonderful hostess and you both of you are very cherished friends. Talk to you later. xxoo

Myriam said...

Happy mother's day Lori

taylors*farmhouse*attic said...

Happy Mother's Day Lori!!!~~hugs,Jen

Gail said...

What a wonderful tribute to your mom.

I wish I could tell mine again.

Happy Mother's Day

Anonymous said...

So beautiful, thank you very much. And oh so true too !!!
Have a wonderful Mother's Day !!

Constance said...

What a beautiful poem, thank you for sharing. Have a wonderful Mother's Day,

Blessing's
Sallie

Cat Nap Inn Primitives said...

Happy mothers day Lori..:) enjoy your day.:)

Poussy Stitches My Love said...

It is magnificent! Best regards of France

JOLENE said...

Sweet sentiments about a mothers hands. I miss my Mothers hands...it brings tears to my eyes...Happy Mother's Day Lori. Smiles....

Nan ~ Threadwork Primitives said...

What a beautiful post. I am wiping away the tears.
Happy Mother's Day to you.
~Nan

Janet - underthewillow said...

Happy Mother's Day!

Janet

QUAINT AND PLAIN said...

HAPPY MOTHERS DAY LORI~~ MAY THE SUN BE SHINING ON YOUR CORNER OF THE WORLD WITH AIR SCENTED BY SPRINGTIME GARDENS AND FILLED WITH BIRDSONG,,,, THANK YOU FOR LOVELY THOUGHTS OF MOTHERS EVERYWHERE... B

Linda said...

Beautiful poem and loving tribute to your mom.....Happy Mother's Day to you Lori....Hugs, Linda