Monday, February 16, 2009

A Room of Her (My) Own.....

I thought you all might enjoy a peek into my newly re-done studio !!!...
my little sewing nook...
I found the pink wicker shelf at a yard sale for 4.00 ~
it still has it's JC Penney price tag on it which reads 24.99 !!

the view at the top of the stairs...do you like how that chandelier came out?
I purchased 5 parchment shades for it for only 2.50 a piece..., then I added twiggy wreaths around each light and finally a garland of faux flowers...
I LOVE it!
The big cedar closet holds my clothes...

antique mirrored armoire used to store supplies...
the lace panels at the windows were one big shower curtain (found that for 1.00)
...with a big hole in the middle.
I fixed that by cutting it in half, adding clip on rings and hung them from tension rods...
My chair is a run-of-the-mill, blue desk chair on wheels (from Staples)...
I covered it by tying on lengths of tea-stained floral fabric to the back, and the seat...!!!

work table in the middle is my 'desk'
and in the far corner is my reading chair...
the chair is covered with yet another thrift shop find,
but this one is a hand crocheted bedspread...

photo shows top of my worktable, I have a piece of plexi-glass on it to protect it...
under the plexi-glass I've slipped in some 18th century book engravings
because they're so pretty!...
I'm keeping my paints in a wooden knife box,
I thought I would use the spice racks that I previously told you about,
but I think this works better because they're right on my table where i need them...
my reading nook...
bright & sunny and comfy!!!
I have more magazines and books than any one person should be allowed to have, but I weeded them out & only put my most favorite in these bookshelves
(which Peter built years ago for Hannah when she was a baby!)

I am thrilled beyond words the way my studio turned out!
I had it pictured in my mind, but is truly came out better!!!
I spent hardly ANY money on it,
... I just used furniture from other rooms in the farmhouse...
a couple of sweet accessories here, some flowers to brighten it there...

VOILA' !!!
Now that I'm all finished, I'm off to enjoy my Buttercream candle,
put on some bluegrass music and paint!
Hope you've enjoyed your tour !!

~Lori~







16 comments:

My Colonial Home said...

What a grea space to work in. It's so warm and feminine - I really like it!
Karen

staci said...

Your new studio is so sweet and inviting! You've really created a beautiful space to do your creating...I bet you don't want to leave it, lol ;)

connie said...

Can I live there when your not using it..LOL..Seriously it's a wonderful room .you did a beautiful job in decorating..I would call it a feel good room..I felt that just looking at your pictures..Connie

Patti said...

Oh Lori! It's lovely! The chandelier is perfect! I'm so jealous ;-) I dream of having a studio someday. I'm in the corner of the laundry room - I don't complain about laundry as I sneak a few minutes creating during loads...
Blessings, Patti

Alice ~ Folk Art Primitives said...

Charming ~ that's the word I would use to describe your new studio ~ thanks for sharing ~ Alice

primitivebettys said...

Your new studio is charming! I wish my corner of the basement looked like that!!!

A Bit of Colour said...

Oh you done a fantastic job! You have a basket tree I see. I really like the old tool box. It's great how you take lace & make it look like it is perfect, no holes. I do the same.Like the chandelier & of course the cabins at the top of your amoire.
Blessings,
Kim

Katy said...

It looks fantastic! :)

Julie said...

You should be marveling at it! It's stunning and I'm overflowing with envy. However, you are so creative and unique that your results don't surprise me a bit.

I'm glad you have your new space, Lori. That means many, many more wonderful creations are looming in our futures. ;-)

basketsnprims said...

Lori,
What a beautiful work space you have created. I'm just loving all of it.
Pam

Cindy said...

Your room looks SO great! Warm & cozy! Like you, I spent very little to redo the room, with the exception of the little cubby box & paint. You'll want to spend all your time there! I know I do esp when it's just me here much of the time!

From Sherry's Heart said...

SOOO COOL My Friend!!!! AND it didn't take long at all to do from when you 1st told me your plan.
I don't miss nuttin',I spotted my quilt in one of the pics!!!!!!
Now stop lookin' around at how pretty it looks and Get To Work!!!

The Queen

Cindy at Mountain Hollow said...

Lori,
I am so jealous!! I love your new room.

Deb said...

Lori.. that is a gorgeous "little" sewing nock.. alot of space for friends to come and join you. I love the plexy glass that is a great way to stash papers.. if it is on my cutting table I could put my pattern underneath and view it without having to find it all the time. I love your overstuffed chair with the books for reference to relax in..and your gorgeous truddle machine. you are very lucky

Constance said...

Hi Lori,

I love your room. I also save copies of all my favorite magazines not to mention buying copies of old,old issues at garage sales every chance I get. You are so energetic and talented. I always enjoy visiting your blog.

Beth Twist said...

Its just fabulous, Lori. May your new space bring infinite inspiration to your Spring!